Prestage Enrollment On Big Sur Isn't adhering to Setup Assistant Options

GabeShack
Valued Contributor III

I've just now began to test doing erase installs on machines to make sure enrollment is working properly in Big Sur, however I'm noticing that no matter what I check in the "Setup Assistant Options" in the PreStage Enrollment, it just shows me the Apple ID option, and then cuts right to the desktop. So far I'm just testing on a 2015 MacBook Air, about to test a 2020 Air to see if having touch ID makes a difference.

The big issue is the location piece for us, as I want that to be on so the time zone is correct, but it seems to just skip it altogether. I'm still wondering why we have more options for this on iPads than for the more robust Macs.

Anyone else seeing this or have a work around?
Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

dd29e9968c654f1e9f75f9ac7c7eee6e

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

atomczynski
Valued Contributor

Saw this posted on Slack today

Resolved Issues in macOS 11.4 Beta
(Beta 3) Resolves an issue where iCloud Keychain sync could not be restricted by MDM.
(Beta 3) Resolves an issue where Mac computers with Apple silicon boot to recovery after using startosinstall —erase.
(Beta 2) Resolves an issue where Kerberos SSO extension may fail to renew credentials.
(Beta 1) Resolves an issue where first login with a mobile account fails to create a login keychain.
(Beta 1) Setup Assistant no longer skips Location Services when account creation is skipped.
(Beta 1) DNS lookups no longer fail when using an authenticated proxy or a proxy PAC file.
(Beta 1) App installation from MDM is no longer cancelled when country is changed during setup.
(Beta 1) Resolves an issue where the klist command returns a “Cache not found” message when using Single Sign-on.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

ryan_ball
Valued Contributor

@gshackney Same issue as this one posted earlier today. Try NOT skipping "Transfer Information" and "Apple ID" screens and see if that keeps Setup Assistant from crashing.

GabeShack
Valued Contributor III

@ryan.ball Well I don't think its's crashing since it is presenting the Apple ID screen as we would like and is also not checked. That's why I figured, testing on a machine with Touch ID might help the cause.

Its just the location piece that I need to have shown, although someone mentioned somewhere else that on Big Sur, location settings is turned on by default.

I'll make the change after I finish testing on the newer MB Air. My bigger question if this is indeed the problem, is it an Apple issue or JAMF?

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

atomczynski
Valued Contributor

Saw this posted on Slack today

Resolved Issues in macOS 11.4 Beta
(Beta 3) Resolves an issue where iCloud Keychain sync could not be restricted by MDM.
(Beta 3) Resolves an issue where Mac computers with Apple silicon boot to recovery after using startosinstall —erase.
(Beta 2) Resolves an issue where Kerberos SSO extension may fail to renew credentials.
(Beta 1) Resolves an issue where first login with a mobile account fails to create a login keychain.
(Beta 1) Setup Assistant no longer skips Location Services when account creation is skipped.
(Beta 1) DNS lookups no longer fail when using an authenticated proxy or a proxy PAC file.
(Beta 1) App installation from MDM is no longer cancelled when country is changed during setup.
(Beta 1) Resolves an issue where the klist command returns a “Cache not found” message when using Single Sign-on.

GabeShack
Valued Contributor III

@atomczynski Thanks for that. Nice to know a fix is coming and that the issue is acknowledged.

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

ooshnoo
Valued Contributor

Was this ever fixed as I'm seeing the same issues.

atomczynski
Valued Contributor

Based on my experience I have good success that I wait a moment during the setup assistant for the computer to acquire IP address.
I have the location services deselected  (similarly to what the author has) and I'm being prompted during setup assistant to enable.