Printer PKG from manufacture

Absolem
New Contributor

Hi Everyone,

I'm at the beginner stage at learning Jamf. I've been trying to add this HP452dn printer but the current macOS Sierra couldn't find the driver for this printer. I was able to find the pkg file on one of the thread in jamf nation.

https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/discussions/19209/newest-hp-printers

Do I have to compose this into another pkg file with the printer install or could I add the pkg file that I found and save it to the Casper admin and then add it to my polices?

thanks

2 REPLIES 2

mpermann
Valued Contributor II

@Absolem you should be able to use the vendor package as is. Just upload it to your JSS through Casper Admin and then you can deploy the driver to your computers that need it. You will also need to either setup the printer on a computer and capture the setup with Casper Admin or use an lpadmin command to add the printer.

Asnyder
Contributor III

They way we do it at my school is we have a script that checks the computer for any previously installed printers, removes them, and installs the drivers for each of our printers by pointing to them on our fileserver. Specific sections can be commented out for specifying location the script is being ran at.

############
# Script to delete old canon copiers and install new KM
#
#
####################################################

# Delete old Copiers

echo "--Current printers"
lpstat -a | cut -d" " -f1 | while read PRTA
do
echo "-"$PRTA
done

lpstat -a | cut -d" " -f1 | grep "HS_Library" | while read PRTB
do
echo "-- Library printer detected attempting to delete: "$PRTB
lpadmin -x $PRTB
sleep 1
done

lpstat -a | cut -d" " -f1 | grep "Office" | while read PRTB
do
lpadmin -x $PRTB
sleep 1
done

lpstat -a | cut -d" " -f1 | grep "Copier" | while read PRTB
do
lpadmin -x $PRTB
sleep 1
done

echo "--Remaining printers"
lpstat -a | cut -d" " -f1 | while read PRTC
do
echo "-"$PRTC
done

##########################################################

# Download Drivers and Install Drivers 

cd /Users/Shared

curl -LO http://**ourcasperserver**/CasperShare/Packages/bizhub_554e_109.pkg  

curl -LO http://**ourcasperserver**/CasperShare/Packages/bizhub_754_109.pkg

sudo installer -pkg bizhub_554e_109.pkg -target /

sudo installer -pkg bizhub_754_109.pkg -target /

################################################################

# Setup and Install new KM printer

lpadmin -p NFVHS_Library_Copier -E -v lpd://**printerip**/queue -L NFVHS_Library -P /Library/Printers/PPDs/Contents/Resources/KONICAMINOLTA554e.gz -o printer-is-shared=false -o PaperSources=PC410 -o Finisher=FS534_ZeusX -o KMPunchUnit=PK520-23_ZeusX -o PublicUserAccess=True -o KMDuplex=Single -o KMSection=True

lpadmin -p NFVHS_Office_Copier -E -v lpd://**printerip**/queue -L NFVHS_Office -P /Library/Printers/PPDs/Contents/Resources/KONICAMINOLTA754e.gz -o printer-is-shared=false -o Finisher=FS534SD -o KMPunchUnit=PK520-23 -o PublicUserAccess=True -o KMDuplex=Single -o KMSection=True

rm /Users/Shared/bizhub_554e_109.pkg

rm /Users/Shared/bizhub_754_109.pkg

osascript -e 'tell application "Terminal" to close (every window whose name contains ".command")' &
exit