Printers do not show in list when added by policy

mrector
New Contributor

Hi, Have an issue where I have 5 plotters that I added via Configuration Profile that show correctly. I also have tried to add another set of printers via Policy that do not appear in the printer list. When looking at details for the computer and under the Printers section it lists the printers that have been added but they are not available to print to.

7 REPLIES 7

JimAllsop
New Contributor

It might be a glitch in 9.2. None of our printers done via policy or self service will show up until we reboot. Try rebooting after the policy runs and then see.

TreviñoL
Contributor

Having the same problem on 9.2.2. I have to reboot to get the printers to show up. I didn't have to do a reboot before.

ImAMacGuy
Valued Contributor II

https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=1993

There's quite a few topics on this, it's a known bug in 9.22

alexjdale
Valued Contributor III

I've been adding a "killall cupsd; sleep 3; /usr/sbin/cupsd" as a command that will run after the policy and restart CUPS. I tried the launchctl commands and ran into issues with stopping and starting the processes that way.

damienbarrett
Valued Contributor

I've just upgraded to 9.23 and have tested a few 10.8.5 and 10.9.1 machines and this bug appears to have been resolved. Interesting that it's not referenced in release notes or feature requests.

Silent fixes. More and more like Apple every day....

I kid, I kid. But I'm glad it's been resolved.

chriscollins
Valued Contributor

Too be fair @damienbarrett, they did put it in the release notes under self service. 9.23 update ;)

[D-006067] Fixed an issue that prevented a printer from immediately displaying in System Preferences
if the printer is mapped using a policy that is made available in Self Service. Also fixed an issue that caused any existing printers to temporarily disappear from System Preferences after a printer is mapped to a computer using a policy that is made available in Self Service.

damienbarrett
Valued Contributor

Ah, I only read the release notes section for the JSS. My bad.