Pushing Mojave Upgrade

bwordell
New Contributor II

Hey everyone,

I am fairly new to JAMF and I am looking to create a policy to upgrade our Mac's to Mojave. By pushing a policy to upgrade to the newest OS will this break anything on old Mac's that do not support Mojave or will JAMF pick up that the OS is not supported and skip that policy?

5 REPLIES 5

dan-snelson
Valued Contributor II

@bwordell You'll need to carefully scope your upgrade policy to only eligible machines.

We find macOS Self Service Upgrade Process and jamf_ea_LatestOSSupported.sh to be helpful.

bwordell
New Contributor II

Hey Dan,

Do you know if there are any examples of this that work for Mojave? I am new to bash so the script is difficult to read.

rhooper
Contributor III

We created 2 smart Groups:
Group 1: Has the SW title: 'Install macOS Mojave.app'.
Group 2: OS Version is like 10.14.
Then, We found that by pushing out the Install macOS Mojave.app using MacApps worked well and would exclude the devices that met the above groups.

We are able to only scope the Self Service Script to those devices that do not have the 10.14 OS, but do have the Install application.
We run a package, after all the installs are done, to recon the devices: inventory update.

I have tested it on several devices. The script runs, locks the screen, and takes about 45 minutes to back up the HS data in a VME, then install the Mojave OS and move the data back to Mojave. All-in-all takes about 1.25 - 1.5 hrs.

Waiting on a full scale roll out, after some important testing is performed

bwordell
New Contributor II

Awesome, thank you for this! I will try it out.

teknikal35
New Contributor III

here is the simple process, 1 - creat a Mojave dmg installer.app policy to push to all machines.
2 run this scriprt trhrough ARD a jamf policy using the payload excute command , and enter this command string sudo /Applications/Install macOS Mojave.app/Contents/Resources/startosinstall --applicationpath /Applications/Install macOS Mojave.app --nointeraction