Remote Support tool

BenIdrissi
New Contributor II

Hi,

Which tool do you use to remote support your Mac users?

Jamf Remote is not my favorite. Today we use Dameware for remote control our Windows clients, but it's not working very well with Mac clients.

Thanks for your help

9 REPLIES 9

nelsoni
Contributor III

We are using teamviewer here, but I am going to add that with Catalina, Apple introduced Screen recording to PPPC and as of right now the only option is to set it to explicit deny. Apple views it as the same thing as mic access and camera access and will require the end user to approve it. There is no plan to change this.

poormatt
New Contributor III

Bomgar / BeyondTrust here, works like a charm as long as it's up to date.. Same boat with mic/camera/screen recording but that will be the case regardless of the system.

danlaw777
Contributor III

We're using dameware here. it works well on pre-catalina machines, but our catalina machines are seeing some issues, black screens, not connecting, not populating the security tab on accessibility.

hdsreid
Contributor III

@nelsoni this is correct, but I will add one thing that confused the hell out of me for the longest time - admin rights are NOT required to accept these. I had technicians telling me they couldn't remote in using any of our plethora of backup screen sharing apps (think webex, skype, ms teams, etc, which they use if a user is remote and cannot connect to VPN as jamf remote only works on LAN) because of this...sure enough nothing was broken, they just had to walk the user through a one time approval for the app.

my security department would never allow anything like teamviewer lol
any complaints i have about jamf remote would be gone if i could tunnel a connection to remote users. our windows management tool can do this, and while their mac support isn't great, it does allow me to throw the remote control client on the machines and connect to a remote user as a backup plan z....

kerouak
Valued Contributor

I use and always have used Apple Remote Desktop.
It just ticks all the boxes.

thebrucecarter
Contributor II

Our Help Desk uses Bomgar. I tend toward ARD for ad-hoc stuff, although Apple Engineering needs to show it some love.

hdsreid
Contributor III

@thebrucecarter @kerouak

do either of you know if ARD supports auditing and not being able to see anything on the screen until user accepts the permission popup? some of our help desk team has told me they used ARD in the past without much issue, but when our current security regime came into power, they shut it down for those reasons. i do not have experience with ARD myself, but just curious if either of you knew if this has changed at all over the years

kerouak
Valued Contributor

d68f7e7311eb451d9359b2cfdcf7c8e3

hdsreid
Contributor III

@kerouak awesome, thanks for providing that...might try playing with it again here in a dev environment