remove/delete computer from smart group

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

How can i remove/delete a computer from a smart group?

this computer had a policy cached, was populated in a smart group, then via self service installed the cached application.

the computer has been removed from the policy that caches, but the smart group still lists the computer has having the application cached, thus the self service policy still has the application available.

how do i get this computer out of the smart group?
smart group --> ACTION --> DELETE COMPUTERS, will this delete ALL the computers in the smart group?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

@tcandela If those two files are still there, that is why the computer is still showing in the SG. Assuming, that is, that you scoped the SG to the fact that those files exist.

You say the machine successfully installed Mavericks?

Can you send a screenshot of the criteria tab of your Smart Group?

If you remove those two files and run a recon, the machine should drop out of the SG.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

@tcandela you need to make sure that whatever criteria you used to get the computer into the SG, that the computer no longer meets that criteria.

For example, if you are looking for a particular file on the computer to scope it to the SG, make sure that file is gone from the computer and do a recon. The recon will see that the file is gone and then remove the machine from the SG.

What is the criteria the SG is based on?

harsha
New Contributor III

In smart computer groups I added the criteria from 11.0 to 11.6 to add the systems into it. I have 5 systems under this criteria, I want to make an update to only 3 systems, then how can i make the update to those 3 systems only? and the remaining system don't want to update to the latest version then how can I remove or delete the systems under that criteria present in the smart group?

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

@tcandela I think "smart group --> ACTION --> DELETE COMPUTERS" will delete all those computers from the JSS so I wouldn't do that.

If the Mac no longer meets the criteria, you might just need to run an inventory update, either with Casper remote or with

sudo jamf recon

from the command line.

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

@stevewood the SG is based on having the OS X Mavericks installed.dmg cached. This computer had it cached (policy 1) and then via Self Service policy (policy 2) had it installed. So shouldn't it after being installed now be UNcached ?

@davidacland thats what i am worried about, so i'll try the sudo jamf recon

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

@tcandela If a recon did not take place after the install (policy 2), then it would still show in the SG. Try running a recon and see if that clears it out of the SG.

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

no, the recon still show the computer in smart group. self service still lists the mavericks installer but the log does not show 'pending' or even list that computer.

where is the cached installer located anyways?

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

@tcandela can you post screen shots of the following:

• scope tab of your policy
  • criteria tab of the Smart Group

Whatever the criteria is for the Smart Group that controls the scope for the Install policy, the computer is still matching that criteria.

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

Also... can you verify that the file was in fact removed?

caches live in:
/Library/Application Support/JAMF/Waiting Room/

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

@Chris_Hafner - thanks, this is what I was looking for, i'll check the location. After install there should be no OS X Mavericks installer in the /waiting room/ ?

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

Well, assuming that everything worked as planned (which, apparently something didn't) then no, it shouldn't be in there. However, there's got to be a reason the unit is still in that smart group which could result form a number of things. @stevewood has a good couple of requests for you and I'm sure you'll post back with info regarding what is and isn't cached on that unit.

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

I see 2 objects in the 'waiting room'

install os x mavericks installESD.dmg
install os x mavericks installESD.dmg.cache.xml

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

@tcandela If those two files are still there, that is why the computer is still showing in the SG. Assuming, that is, that you scoped the SG to the fact that those files exist.

You say the machine successfully installed Mavericks?

Can you send a screenshot of the criteria tab of your Smart Group?

If you remove those two files and run a recon, the machine should drop out of the SG.

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

@stevewood - after a couple running of sudo jamf recon the computer still appeared in the Smart Group, so I went into the 'waiting room' and trashed the 2 files and ran 'recon' again, the smart group updated with the computer not appearing in the group.

So the cached installer should get removed automatically after it gets installed?

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

@tcandela Running recons wasn't going to help in this case since it was still seeing those files in the Waiting Room directory. After you deleted them it fell out of the group range since that was a key part of the criteria for group membership. A recon by itself won't delete those cached files unless you had some other policy looking for Macs that have already been upgraded and still have those files present and have the policy rm them away.

And yes, generally speaking installers should be removed after they are installed from that directory, but, it may depend on how it was run. If the Mac rebooted immediately after installation, the policy may not have had a chance to delete those files since they were in use.

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

that computer was strange, not sure what the issue was, OS X9 upgraded on it fine but it looks like 'waiting room' files never left. Same policy to upgrade to OS X9 on 2 other computers completed and 'waiting room' was empty and both of those computers 'after inventory check' disappeared from the smart group.

procedure i used to create this self service policy was followed from here: http://resources.jamfsoftware.com/archive/Deploying-OS-X-v10.7-or-Later-with-the-Casper-Suite.pdf

I was hoping to avoid emptying 'waiting room' on that computer, but looks like i had to.

thanks all