Remove specific WiFi on iOS/iPadOS

LK
New Contributor II

Hi!

Our users can use a specific guest WiFi to enroll their devices. This WiFi does not have access to any other sites than the ones needed for enrollment. The correct WiFi is rolled out via configuration profile.

Is there a way to remove the guest WiFi automatically after the correct one is installed via that configuration profile?

7 REPLIES 7

jbisgett
Contributor II

I've asked the same question of our Apple SE and Jamf, the answer has been No. There isn't a way to remove the Wifi automatically if it was manually selected. It has to be manually forgotten on the device.

Our solution for mass device rollout has been to use Apple Configurator. We provision the wifi to the device with our preferred wifi profile from Jamf prior to distribution to the user, so that the device will automatically connect to the correct wifi without having to use the enrollment network.

sdecook
Contributor

The closest we have come to something that would do this was pushing a profile for the guest or onboarding network with the "automatically connect" box turned off. This way it should disconnect in favor of your final WiFi profile. It will also prevent people from sitting on the network as it will not reconnect constantly.

I haven't tried that, I'll give it a shot and see how it works.

LK
New Contributor II

I have tried that and it doesn't seem to work.

jcarr
Release Candidate Programs Tester

You can prevent a device from joining an unmanaged network, but since this would also prevent the user from connecting to their home network, this may not be what you are looking for.  Are devices preferring the Guest WiFi over your managed WiFi?  Is "Auto Join" selected in your WiFi profile?

One option might be to set up a provisioning network SSID that is only for use when enrolling devices.  Once devices are deployed, remove that network.  Or enroll devices using Configurator 2 so that they are set up and on the production WiFi when you hand them to the end user (although this doesn't work well with authenticated enrollment).

atomczynski
Valued Contributor

Few options:
- keep your existing enrollment SSID enabled only during enrollment times

- enroll using lightning to ethernet adapter

- enroll using Apple Store SSID and power off when not enrolling

- enroll using random generated SSID and power off when not enrolling; change SSID name each time

Zer0reZ
New Contributor

A way of shear fudgery with this one.

Push out the same SSID settings again with Auto-Join off and an intentional incorrect password, it worked for me.

The good thing is, when you try to connect to the provisioning ssid it asks you for the password again so for spot fixing you can enter it in lol, mind Jamf might come along and kill it again....