Renaming Packages with Admin and Jamf Cloud

dennisnardi
Contributor

I'm in the process of migrating from an on prem Jamf instance to a Jamf Cloud hosted instance. One thing I just noticed is that I'm unable to rename any package uploaded to my cloud distribution point.

With my on prem infrastructure, I'd often just rename an installer package in Admin to be the same as a newer installer, then upload the newer installer and replace the existing installer. That would make it so the newer installer would automatically replace the older in all existing policies, so no policies needed to be edited.

I contacted Jamf about this and they said that's how Jamf Cloud currently works and there's no way to rename a package after uploading it. Has anyone else ran into the same thing and found a workaround?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

It's not necessary to rename your packages directly on a share when using JamfCloud DP to get the behavior you're looking for here.
All you have to do is go into your Jamf GUI, click on Settings, then Packages and locate the package you want to update. Click Edit, and there should be a "Choose File" button that will let you select and upload a new package to the resource. It doesn't have to have the same name to overwrite the older package. When you click Save, the new package should be uploaded to the DP and overwrite the older package file. The display name should update to reflect the new package at the same time.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

It's not necessary to rename your packages directly on a share when using JamfCloud DP to get the behavior you're looking for here.
All you have to do is go into your Jamf GUI, click on Settings, then Packages and locate the package you want to update. Click Edit, and there should be a "Choose File" button that will let you select and upload a new package to the resource. It doesn't have to have the same name to overwrite the older package. When you click Save, the new package should be uploaded to the DP and overwrite the older package file. The display name should update to reflect the new package at the same time.

dennisnardi
Contributor

@mm2270 Perfect! Thank you for pointing that out. I haven't used the web console much for uploading packages, so I missed that.