Replaced boot drive, now 'device signature' error

denmoff
Contributor III

Replaced a users hard drive with an SSD. Copied the old drive to the new and now when i run a recon, it gives the following error:

Getting management framework from the JSS...

There was an error.

Device Signature Error - A valid device signature is required to perform the action.

Is there a procedure to follow when replacing the hard drive so that the Mac is re-enrolled and saves all of the policy history?

3 REPLIES 3

NoahRJ
Contributor II

I've seen that error a number of times, and if the JAMF binary is intact on the machine, you'll just need to run "sudo jamf enroll -prompt" and enter the username and password of a JSS user. I think you'll also get prompted for entering an SSH user, but you can leave those entries blank. Since it requires you to enter additional information, you can't execute it as an ARD UNIX command, but if you launch Terminal on the machine or SSH into it, you should be able to get it re-enrolled without issue.

Alternatively, you can use an invitation ID that you create in the JSS. On the left-hand sidebar, you can find "Enrollment Invitations", where you create a one-time (or multiple, if you desire) enrollment invite, including an expiration date/time and a default Site in which to enroll the computer. The invitation will be emailed to an address that you provide, and you can grab a long number at the end of the URL (should look like invitation=XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX...). From there, you can send out the command "jamf enroll -invitation XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX..." as root in ARD to the machine you need to get re-enrolled, and then you don't have to mess around with any entering of credentials.

denmoff
Contributor III

Thanks. @NoahRJ I ended up re-enrolling with recon and that resolved the issue. But the jamf enroll -prompt way would have been a nice way to go.

devlinford
New Contributor III
run "sudo jamf enroll -prompt"

Awesome fix. I've been deleting the record, removing framework, and then re-enrolling via the QuickAdd.

Thanks,