Reporting on Printers

tijones
New Contributor II

Ok Im possibly Blind but what i want to do is this,

We want to remove all local printers from our environment, Casper is collecting the printers obviously. I want to create a report or export a CSV that tells me any of the following

A list of all printers and the Computer names that have them installed

or list of all printers that don't contain smb://printerserver and 192.168.1.* and the computer-names that have them installed ( I could do this out of the above data anyway )

1 REPLY 1

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

There isn't really an easy way to do this using the current Casper Suite. While a lot of the data is there, its not going to be in the format you want without some work and manipulation.
For example, all mapped printers are listed under Logs > Mapped Printers. From there you can see a list of Macs with each individual printer by clicking the Computers With... link next to each one. This will pull up a basic computer list report that can be exported to csv, BUT its only going to be for that one printer, so you'd need to name the export accordingly so it can be identified later (the printer itself does not show up in the columns) Then go back and do this for each printer. If you have 1000s of mapped printers, this could take a looong while.

Another possibly better option would be to build an Extension Attribute that collects printers into a neat list. Then allow some time to have your Macs submit new inventory, and finally run a report showing that "Mapped printers" column, or whatever you name the EA. The disadvantage of this approach is that you need to account for some time for all machines to report in so you have a mostly accurate report.