Scoping: Targeting with user smart groups only

zamo
New Contributor III

Hi Nation,

I am a bit confused by the use of user smart groups within scoping.
Some of our apps are made available in self service and only targeted to user smart groups. So the app appears in the self service on a device with a targeted user assigned to it but it isn't downloadable. No error message appear, it just doesn't do anything. The download is only possible when we set the targeting to all mobile devices, a single device or a device group.
This happens with VPP-Apps, in-house Apps and configuration profiles as well.

Did I do something wrong by only targeting to users?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

@zamo I think you are right, you need the user overview on the Users side of Jamf Pro to list the devices assigned to them.

Try editing the mobile device record's User and Location, and saving. If that doesn't work, use the magnifying glass as well to determine if the username is correct.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

tomhastings
Contributor II

Using Device Assigned VPP? Are users assigned to one device?
Create a smart Device Group and scope that way.

zamo
New Contributor III

Users are assigned up to three devices.
But I noticed something curios:
The affected users have no devices in the users overview, but in the device list they are assigned to them.
I've added some screenshots for better understanding.

zamo
New Contributor III

Still unable to attach images here.
Even pictures with a 400 x 228 resolution and 13,7kb .png files are not accepted.
Any idea? :/

tomhastings
Contributor II

Not sure what to tell you about the uploads...
Another thing you could do if you are using Active Directory, scope the app to all and set a limitation to an AD user or group. Enable login to Self Service and those users should be able to install the app.

If you are using Device Manage, you could also try setting automatically install instead of Self Service.

zamo
New Contributor III

We have no Active Directory in use.
I think the problem is that jamf doesn't register the assignment of some users to the devices. :/

I'll try to upload the screenshots as soon as I figured out what I did wrong with them^^

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

@zamo I think you are right, you need the user overview on the Users side of Jamf Pro to list the devices assigned to them.

Try editing the mobile device record's User and Location, and saving. If that doesn't work, use the magnifying glass as well to determine if the username is correct.

zamo
New Contributor III

This helped so far.
But I really don't get why.
Up to this point we typed in the whole username (4 letters) and then we pressed the search button and the "full name" and "email" field filled themselves out. Everytime we doing this, no devices are attached to the user, but the user is attached to the devices. Sounds confusing, I know, but that is what happen.

Now I press the search button directly instead of typing something in the username field and choose the user out of the list. Now everthing works as it should. Any idea why?

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

It should work both ways. Might be time to create a support ticket since you are using the tool correctly but not getting correct results. And the workaround is slowing you down.

zamo
New Contributor III

I will do that.
Thanks for your help :)