Self Service 10.21 hanging?

erichughes
Contributor II

Anybody else seeing Self Service hanging, taking forever to finish, and lots of spinning? Since the upgrade to 10.21 Jamf Cloud, we have had several reports of Self Service acting weird when installing updates or executing policies from Self Service. Items never say they are finished but quitting the app and restarting the machine and it looks like everything is there. Recently put Office 16.37, Chrome, Firefox and some other items there those are the notables.

16 REPLIES 16

ravisgupta
New Contributor III

+1
.. Self-service installations on 10.21 get stuck on Executing.

michaelmcgaw
New Contributor III

We're seeing this on Catalina endpoints. But not all Catalina endpoints. I'm still trying to find the commonalities. We're on 10.21.1 of Jamf Pro.

When the affected endpoints run an item in Self Service, the item goes the "Executing" and nothing related to that item appears to happen.

bradtchapman
Valued Contributor II

Follow these instructions to enable Debug Mode for Self Service and monitor the logs.

Does reënrolling the machines help?

jefff
Contributor II

One of my colleagues noticed Self Service 10.22.1 hanging on a couple of Sierra machines today. As a test, he termporarily installed Self Service 10.21, but there was no difference.

michaelmcgaw
New Contributor III

Thank you for the reference, @bradtchapman !

Reenrolling doesn't appear to help, alas.

ayerswv
New Contributor

Yes, I see this issue on macOS 10.12 machines. Policies will hang and then time out, but never run. I tested by installing Self Service 10.21, but we see the same issue. The jamf binary is working in Terminal. Policies are still working and I was able to see the Self Service update to 10.22 after the next check-in/policy run.

jefff
Contributor II

Response we're getting from Jamf Support (and backed up by info on Slack) is that inability to run policies from Self Service is a known issue in Macs running 10.12 and lower, that started with the upgrade Jamf v10.22.1 and there are no plans to fix it, per PI-008504.

michaelmcgaw
New Contributor III

Was any comment made about the Macs on 10.13 and higher that are experiencing the problem?

jefff
Contributor II

@michaelmcgaw - We were advised that the workaround for the issue with Macs running 10.12 is to upgrade the OS to a newer version. So it seems there's an assumption it works for newer OS versions.

spalmer
Contributor III

I have seen similar issues with Self Service, a few months ago, not working well with macOS 10.12 starting with Jamf Pro 10.21 (maybe 10.20?), but strangely I have seen fewer issues with Self Service under macOS 10.11.

While I expected this to be Jamf's answer, if they are starting to tell people to upgrade to a new OS to work around the issue then they need to move macOS 10.12 from the Minimum Supported section of their support chart to Untested.

jefff
Contributor II

@spalmer I read on Slack that Jamf Pro support for 10.12 is ending with v10.24 of Jamf Pro. Apparently, that's stated as the reason it won't be fixed in the PI I referenced above.

JasonAtCSUMB
Contributor

I have been told this officially from Jamf support. They are not going to fix this Jamf Pro Self Service problem now, even though it occurs on a supported operating system (10.12 Sierra). Pointing to their future plans to drop support on a Beta release is a ridiculous excuse to not fix this problem on a current version that supports Sierra. Self Service is a tentpole feature, not some obscure thing.

rcorbin
Contributor II

Has PI-008504 been resolved ? I no longer see it in the known issues listings.

I also noticed this document which was just updated today says it installs the latest version of Self Service on 10.12.

Self Service Compatibility Chart

rcorbin
Contributor II

The release notes were updated :

The following bug fix in Jamf Pro 10.24.1 was inadvertently not included in the original publishing of these release notes:

[PI-008504] Fixed an issue that caused policies triggered or run through Jamf Self Service for macOS to fail on computers with macOS 10.12.

It's fixed ! :)

mschroder
Valued Contributor

This is strange. I upgraded our MDM test instance to jss to 10.24.1, and I saw that one of my 10.12 test Macs had its Self-Service.app downgraded from 10.23 to 10.21, and it just hangs after I log in (with SSO).

I tested renewing the MDM Profile of that Mac (since it was unverified). So I got a new MDM Profile, but it is still unverified. Seems I really should push the remaining users off 10.12...