Septober Updates for Extension Attributes

pete_c
Contributor III

A new OS in the fall means it's time to review and update EAs.

Post your new versions that will support macOS Sequoia (15).

I realized that I still had one using `airport` (which is (way) deprecated), so here's my new Current Wi-Fi.sh:

#!/bin/bash

# 1.3 240808 PWC

SSID=$(/usr/bin/wdutil info | awk -F: '/SSID/ { print $NF;exit } ')
SSID=${SSID:1}

if [[ -z $SSID ]]; then
        echo "<result>Not Connected</result>"
else
        echo "<result>${SSID}</result>"
fi

exit 0

Let's f^%#!^ go!

2 REPLIES 2

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@pete_c Have you tested that on macOS 14.5 or later? As of macOS 14.5 I'm seeing "wdutil info" return "<redacted>" for the MAC Address, SSID, and BSSID fields. According to the response to the AppleCare Enterprise case I opened that was an intentional change as Apple considers that information to be a user privacy issue.

Here's the EA I'm currently using to report the active SSID but I don't know that it works on macOS Sonoma Betas (I owe someone credit for posting an example of using networksetup to get this info but I neglected to note where I found it):

#!/bin/sh

result="Not Connected"

WirelessPort=$(/usr/sbin/networksetup -listallhardwareports | /usr/bin/awk '/Wi-Fi|AirPort/{getline; print $NF}')
SSID=$(/usr/sbin/networksetup -getairportnetwork "$WirelessPort" | /usr/bin/awk -F ': ' '{print $2}')
if [ -n "$SSID" ]; then
	result="$SSID"
fi

echo "<result>$result</result>"

pete_c
Contributor III

New version tested as working with multi-word SSID names on macOS 13 - 15.

#!/bin/bash

# Report current SSID or "None"

osProductVersion=$( /usr/bin/sw_vers -productVersion )

case "${osProductVersion}" in

12* | 13* | 14* )
		wifi=$(networksetup -listallhardwareports | awk '/Hardware Port: Wi-Fi/,/Ethernet/' | awk 'NR==2' | cut -d " " -f 2)
		ssid=$(networksetup -getairportnetwork "$wifi" | awk -F': ' '{ print $NF;exit }')
		echo "<result>${ssid}</result>"
        ;;

15* )
    	ssid=$(wdutil info | awk -F: '/SSID/ { print $NF;exit } ') ; ssid=${ssid:1}
        echo "<result>${ssid}</result>"
        ;;

esac

exit 0