Server.app 5.2 - Software Update Removed

dgreening
Valued Contributor II

As expected from the warnings in the Server.app beta documentation, Software Update has been removed as a configurable service.

We should expect the Caching Server functionality in Server.app to take over for SUS, but it remains unclear as to what if any method we will have to control what updates go out to our managed Mac clients.

Thoughts? Does anyone have more information that they can share?

6 REPLIES 6

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@dgreening You can ignore updates on the clients, as per (this)[https://macmule.com/2015/05/19/making-the-most-of-mac-mini-for-use-with-the-casper-suite/#Software_Update]

dgreening
Valued Contributor II

That... is... ugly...

Matt_Ellis
Contributor II

Actually you can re-enable it in the GUI of server.app by going to view and selecting it, but its is on its deathbed :(

dgreening
Valued Contributor II

Ahhhh there it is! Good man!

milesleacy
Valued Contributor
control what updates go out to our managed Mac clients

By the (at this point, incomplete) discontinuation of the software update service, Apple have given us fair warning that we're not meant to do this.

If you're vetting updates, that vetting is to be done through the developer preview releases. Your internal and 3rd party vendors need to pledge to support all Apple updates on their day of release.

blackholemac
Valued Contributor III

Ahh that bites...not a show stopper but not something on my warm and fuzzy list. I guess I should have seen it coming.