ServiceNow and DEP

daniel_behan
Contributor III

Our asset information is in ServiceNow before our computers are shipped. I would like to script my DEP setup so that an API call can be made to ServiceNow in order to match serial numbers with Asset Tags to automatically name the computer. Has anyone tried this?

5 REPLIES 5

dmw3
Contributor III

I am also interested in this as we are in the process of Implementing the Asset module of ServiceNow.

matt_armstrong
New Contributor
New Contributor

To identify the computer in Jamf based on the Serial Number utilize the Jamf Pro API /computers/serialnumber/{serial number}, then update the computer utilizing the ID captured from the serial number API call and the API endpoint /computers/id/{id} to update the existing computer.

daniel_behan
Contributor III

Thanks for the feedback @matt.armstrong . That's a good place to start. My other issue is that I'm attempting to find out where in ServiceNow the Serial Numbers and Asset Tags information is via API.

matt_armstrong
New Contributor
New Contributor

ServiceNow API's can be accessed https://yourinstance.service-now.com/api/now/table/{tableName} - ServiceNow has a REST API Explorer that's very helpful for exploring the ServiceNow API. Typically computers are captured in the cmdb_ci_computer table.

@daniel.behan - My previous comment is more applicable if you were looking to do the scripting from the ServiceNow platform. Good luck to you & @dmw3 - interested in hearing about any ServiceNow integration use cases.

mv27
New Contributor

Hi All,
Was anyone of you able to achieve this? I want to search for a CI in JAMF that has been decommissioned in Servicenow and update its state in JAMF. Can anyone share some code/ API they used for this?
Regards
MV