-setsecurewebproxy will not work 10.8

vasko
New Contributor
New Contributor

Dear All,
I was wondering if anyone could help with this. I have modified the webproxy script with the securewebproxy command but when I try to run it, I get a response of "command not found". If I run the command in a terminal screen of "networksetup -setsecurewebproxy Ethernet 192.168.43.171 8080" it works fine

This is the script I am using .... please help

#!/bin/sh
####################################################################################################
#
# Copyright (c) 2010, JAMF Software, LLC. All rights reserved.
#
# Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
# modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:
# Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
# notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
#
Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
# notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
# documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
# * Neither the name of the JAMF Software, LLC nor the
# names of its contributors may be used to endorse or promote products
# derived from this software without specific prior written permission.
#
# THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY JAMF SOFTWARE, LLC "AS IS" AND ANY
# EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED
# WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE
# DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL JAMF SOFTWARE, LLC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
# DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES
# (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES;
# LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND
# ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT
# (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS
# SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
#
####################################################################################################
#
# SUPPORT FOR THIS PROGRAM
#
# This program is distributed "as is" by JAMF Software, LLC's Resource Kit team. For more
# information or support for the Resource Kit, please utilize the following resources:
#
# http://list.jamfsoftware.com/mailman/listinfo/resourcekit
#
# http://www.jamfsoftware.com/support/resource-kit
#
# Please reference our SLA for information regarding support of this application:
#
# http://www.jamfsoftware.com/support/resource-kit-sla
#
#
# ABOUT THIS PROGRAM
#
# NAME
# setSecureWebProxy.sh -- Configure a web proxy for a specified network interface
#
# SYNOPSIS
# sudo setSecureWebProxy.sh
# sudo setSecureWebProxy.sh <mountPoint> <computerName> <currentUsername> <networkInterface>
# <proxyAddress> <port> #
# If the $networkInterface parameter is specified (parameter 4), this is the Network Interface for
# which the search domains will be set. The expected values for the $networkInterface parameter can
# be found by running the command:
#
# networksetup -listallnetworkservices
#
# If the $proxyAddress parameter is specified (parameter 5), this is the proxy address that will
# be set.
#
# If the $port parameter is specified (parameter 6), this is the port to which the proxy traffic
# be passed.
#
# If no parameters are specified for parameters 4, 5 or 6, the hardcoded value in the script will be # used.
#
# DESCRIPTION
# This script will configure the web proxy on the specified network interface.
#
#
# HISTORY
#
# Version: 1.1
#
# - Created by Nick Amundsen on July 11th, 2008
# - Modified by Nick Amundsen on August 5th, 2008
#
#
# DEFINE VARIABLES & READ IN PARAMETERS
#

# HARDCODED VALUES ARE SET HERE
networkInterface="Ethernet"
proxyAddress="192.168.43.171"
port="8080"

# CHECK TO SEE IF A VALUE WAS PASSED IN PARAMETER 4 AND, IF SO, ASSIGN TO "networkInterface"
if [ "$4" != "" ] && [ "$networkInterface" == "" ];then networkInterface=$4
fi

# CHECK TO SEE IF A VALUE WAS PASSED IN PARAMETER 5 AND, IF SO, ASSIGN TO "proxyAddress"
if [ "$5" != "" ] && [ "$proxyAddress" == "" ];then proxyAddress=$5
fi

# CHECK TO SEE IF A VALUE WAS PASSED IN PARAMETER 6 AND, IF SO, ASSIGN TO "port"
if [ "$6" != "" ] && [ "$port" == "" ];then port=$6
fi

# # SCRIPT CONTENTS - DO NOT MODIFY BELOW THIS LINE
#

if [ "$networkInterface" == "" ]; then echo "Error: No network interface has been specified." exit 1
fi

if [ "$proxyAddress" == "" ]; then echo "Error: No proxy address has been specified." exit 1
fi

if [ "$port" == "" ]; then echo "Error: No port was specified." exit 1
fi

OS=/usr/bin/defaults read /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion ProductVersion | awk '{print substr($1,1,4)}'

if [[ "$OS" < "10.5" ]]; then echo "Setting web proxy for OS $OS..." /System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/Support/networksetup -setsecurewebproxy "$networkInterface" "$proxyAddress" "$port"
else echo "Setting web proxy for OS $OS..." /usr/sbin/networksetup -setsecurewebproxy "$networkInterface" "$proxyAddress" "$port"
fi

3 REPLIES 3

ctangora
Contributor III

Just for giggles, can you run this and post back what it returns...

networksetup -listallnetworkservices

nkalister
Valued Contributor

yeah, what are you getting when you list the services? the only possible avenue of failure I can see here is if you're running this on a machine that doesn't have a built in ethernet port, and therefore 'Ethernet' isn't a valid service.
I use the same commands to set proxies in my imaging procedure, but I've got every possible wired ethernet port name (i.e. Ethernet, Display Ethernet, USB Ethernet, and Thunderbolt Ethernet) in there with tests to see which are present on the system being imaged.

ktappe
New Contributor III

Prefix your command with:

ethernet=networksetup -listallnetworkservices | grep "Ethernet"

Then in the command, substitute $ethernet for "Ethernet" so whatever name is found above will be inserted. If you want to get resilient, check whether $ethernet is not empty and only issue your command if it is not.