Show Progress bar of ongoing updates?

conor
New Contributor III

We are currently pushing updates when the user logs out. However we would like to display a progress bar for them to let them know when the machine will be ready again, I did find an old post that did this using CocoaDialog but since it was from 4 years ago i was wondering if there was a newer way to do this or is CD still the most efficient way to perform this action?

2 REPLIES 2

timlarsen
Contributor

Hi @conor from what I've read, people do still dabble in CocoaDialog, but I would recommend looking at the solution created by @jtratta that seeks to re-imagine IBM's infamous post-enrollment setup screen on DEP-enabled Macs: https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/discussions/17467/ibms-enrollment-screen-recreated. I think you may be able to re-purpose the idea into something that runs at logout with a policy trigger to perform updates as opposed to something that runs on "enrollment complete." I personally take the [quasi-lame] approach of opening up my user facing policies so they run inside of the Self Service app which has a built-in, albeit not very useful or friendly progress bar - but a bar nonetheless. This approach requires that an actual user is logged in to work (so wouldn't work on logout).

conor
New Contributor III

@timlarsen Ill give that a try! Thanks