Sick and tired of failure of recon, policy and manage commands

khurram
Contributor III

e7f2326fc51f43c8b7d1c1feb4c73efb

The picture above shows how the recon, policy and manage commands are failing. What do we do if these commands are not taking affect immediately ? Can anyone please help ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

sdagley
Honored Contributor II

@khurram You need to do a sudo killall jamf to kill the Jamf processes

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

khurram
Contributor III

notice how the 'recon' command was not responding and then Ctrl + c was used to abruptly end this command

sdagley
Honored Contributor II

@khurram You need to do a sudo killall jamf to kill the Jamf processes

View solution in original post

garybidwell
Contributor II

Policy checks run as per your global checkin settings on the JSS - yours is reporting 300 seconds (so every 5 minutes)

All Settings, Computer Management Management Framework, Check In

if you need to run a policy check instantly, just running jamf policy command is all that is required to check for new and outstanding scheduled policies (the execution is then done a per each of your policy settings - once per computer, once per day, each check-in etc...)
*Not required for Config Profiles as that's APNs, which is near instant (or at least as how fast Apple's network sends out the APNs commands)

I'm not sure why you are running a Jamf manage command as this should really only be used on unmanaged devices or if you have issues with the client, as it forces all the jamf framework to be re-installed from scratch (its will then run through nearly all the commands as if its just been enrolled).

From the jamf man pages: manage = Enforces the entire management framework from the JSS

jamf recon - this does do a jamf policy command as part of its function, but also updates the inventory records at the same time (normally once a day is the default) - depending on your inventory this can take a minute to collate and upload to the JSS
if you clicked every inventory option and also collect user application usages stats the recon command could take upto 15 mins to get all of this.
You won't get any feedback on a recon command until its finished getting the info on inventory settings and what extension attributes are being used from the JSS - then is should start giving feedback on each step of the command

If it really is hanging then its struggling to talk to your JSS use the jamf checkJSSconnection command and may be try the -verbose and -displayJSSTraffic options on a recon to see how much data it being sent back to the JSS

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor II

The jamf binary is single threaded, so you can't tell it to check for policies while its doing something.

I believe this is why there is a 5 minute resumable download time limit, where an unlimited number of resumes are possible if none exceed 5 minutes...if a resume exceeds 5 minutes, the policy exits with a failure...this way jamf binary can go on to the next task.

--
https://donmontalvo.com

khurram
Contributor III

Thanks @sdagley I was actually missing the sudo, aarrrghhh, silly me. If you are working as 'root' you don't need to add sudo.

DWilliams_CheyM
New Contributor III

Glad I found this thread! Thought I would share my experience in case someone else has the same issue and runs across this thread too. I had the same problem with....
"The management framework will be enforced as soon as all policies are done executing"

The "sudo killall jamf" command did not work.

What did work was....

1. sudo jamf removeframework
  2. Re-enrolling through <jss.address>/enroll

That has re-applied the management framework and set everything back to normal.

David Williams, Director of IT Systems and Support, Cheyenne Mountain School District 12, Colorado Springs, CO