Silverlight removal

ImAMacGuy
Valued Contributor II

I pushed out an update for silverlight yesterday, and a group is complaining it broke their app. So need to remove the current version of SL and install the previous one. I indexed the pkg and told casper to remove it, however, when I try to push the old version down it returns an error:

Installation failed. The installer reported: installer: Cannot install on volume / because it is disabled. installer: A newer version of this software already exists on this disk.

I found this on the silverlight page - but it didn't seem to help.

Access your hard drive Double-click the hard drive icon on your desktop Find the plugin Navigate to your Internet Plug-Ins directory: /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/ Remove the plugin Drag any of the following into your trash bin: Silverlight.plugin WPFe.plugin
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ImAMacGuy
Valued Contributor II

Thank you gshackney for getting back so quickly! I found the below script that seemed to have done the trick though.

I found this on the MSDN site, i had to tweak it a bit as the file names had changed slightly.

#!/bin/bash
rm -rf /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Silverlight.plugin
rm -rf /Library/Receipts/Silverlight*.pkg
rm -rf ~/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Silverlight
rm -rf /var/db/receipts/com.microsoft.SilverlightInstaller.bom
rm -rf /var/db/receipts/com.microsoft.SilverlightInstaller.plist
exit 0

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

GabeShack
Valued Contributor III

So I had this issue a while back and solved it by including a command in advanced or Files and Processes to search for file by path /Library/Application Support/Microsoft/PlayReady/mspr.hds then checking the checkbox to remove if found.

This is in addition to the silverlight installer package. Hope this helps

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

ImAMacGuy
Valued Contributor II

Thank you gshackney for getting back so quickly! I found the below script that seemed to have done the trick though.

I found this on the MSDN site, i had to tweak it a bit as the file names had changed slightly.

#!/bin/bash
rm -rf /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Silverlight.plugin
rm -rf /Library/Receipts/Silverlight*.pkg
rm -rf ~/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Silverlight
rm -rf /var/db/receipts/com.microsoft.SilverlightInstaller.bom
rm -rf /var/db/receipts/com.microsoft.SilverlightInstaller.plist
exit 0

JPDyson
Valued Contributor

So, sometimes I try to figure this out by composing an installation of something I want to remove, just to see what it puts where. If nothing else, you can do like you did and build an uninstaller script based on that knowledge.

dpertschi
Valued Contributor

@jwojda what was it that started behaving badly that you had to back out?

I'm getting ready to run Silverlight upgrades for the first time next week, haven't seen any other reported issues...

ImAMacGuy
Valued Contributor II

we have some old app that didn't like it. our version of it doesn't support Firefox or Chrome, and only v5 of Safari...