Sloth - GUI for lsof

pete_c
Contributor III

Sloth is a Mac application that displays a list of all open files and sockets in use by all running applications on your system. This makes it easy to discover which apps are using which files and sockets.

Sloth is essentially a friendly GUI built on top of the powerful lsof command line tool, whose output is parsed and shown in a searchable, filterable table view with some convenient user-friendly functions such as revealing files in the Finder, killing a file's owning process, displaying file info, filtering by volumes, and so on. See screenshots below.

6 REPLIES 6

AVmcclint
Honored Contributor

I love Sloth.. the beloved character from The Goonies as well as the useful Mac GUI app.

seansb
New Contributor III

optional image ALT text

drheiner
New Contributor III

Can they change the icon to this? optional image ALT text

damienbarrett
Valued Contributor

Excellent app! Reminds me a bit of fseventer that's been discontinued (or not updated for our more modern OSes). I didn't see a link in your original post. You can download it here: https://sveinbjorn.org/sloth

I will be using this to pull back yet another layer on the OS for my students as I train them to be Junior Mac Geniuses at my Help Desk.

Stephen_Perry
New Contributor III

047bdcaacd2b4b5691c610a6894ef296

bradtchapman
Valued Contributor II

Holy moly. This is incredibly useful and helpful.

It reminds me a lot of the “Process Explorer” utility from the Windows Sysinternals suite.