Someone is doing their job

susqcyber
New Contributor

I was browsing reddit and came across this in /r/Applehelp:

external image link

Along with this request:

external image link

Thank you to Damien Barrett for upholding the K12 IT Admin Code!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

freddie_cox
Contributor III

Added this block on the 19th. I feel like my job here is done. :-)

With 6,000 student devices we don't have notifications setup for Application Restrictions at this time, otherwise we might go mad!

Great response @damienbarrett][/url!!

@boettchs I probably do need to spend more time and clarify my block message just a bit. Some include a snarky remark about getting back on task.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Nice one @damienbarrett!

damienbarrett
Valued Contributor

Hee hee, you saw that too, eh?

I suspect it's a British school somewhere. Wonder if the admin is around here. Would be hilarious.

susqcyber
New Contributor

haha thats exactly what I was hoping when I posted it.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Lol. Nice one!

dgreening
Valued Contributor II

I like to include a blurb about violating our AUP in our blocked software messages. Nice one for sure!

scottb
Honored Contributor

When we got the corporate OK to not only kill Mavericky installs, but to delete them, I was delirious with joy. I only wish I could have seen the faces of those who took the hours to download on the crappy network see it disappear before their eyes. Yes, they got a blurb with a message to contact IT for any questions. :)

tucker_dewolf
New Contributor

That was the best reddit thread I have ever read.

tkimpton
Valued Contributor II

Sweet :)

freddie_cox
Contributor III

Added this block on the 19th. I feel like my job here is done. :-)

With 6,000 student devices we don't have notifications setup for Application Restrictions at this time, otherwise we might go mad!

Great response @damienbarrett][/url!!

@boettchs I probably do need to spend more time and clarify my block message just a bit. Some include a snarky remark about getting back on task.

susqcyber
New Contributor

@freddie.cox Thats awesome! You should send a message to that kids computer telling him that neither steam nor reddit are approved for use on school computers.

freddie_cox
Contributor III

@susqcyber We've had several enterprising students this year, that's for sure.

Most some how end up getting Apple to walk them through reseting the local admin password without the phone agent figuring out they are talking to a 13 year old who is using a computer that isn't "theirs." Once we detect the account change, it resets the password, firmware locks the device so they can't do it again and shoots us an email.

We were hoping we could get away without putting an EFI password on everything, but I think our plans next year will include this.

It's also been fun trying to balance what falls in our hands to restrict vs. classroom management/behavior issues.

susqcyber
New Contributor

I know what you mean. We are still running white macbooks, so EFI is great until one of the students learns to pull a stick of ram to reset the password. Soldering the ram has definitely made it easier to manage though. We've had students that learned that they could run applications from the desktop, so I had to start doing inventory collection from anywhere that the student had access to write to.

tkimpton
Valued Contributor II

easyedc
Valued Contributor II

That. Is. Awesome.

Oh to be young and stupid and think you own the world.

ahambidge
New Contributor II

It's these rare times I wish we could give "JAMF Gold" or something like that here on JAMF Nation. Kudos to you @freddie.cox!