We're in the midst of all this fast shift to online and distance education stuff, and I ran into a small problem. We (the university) have purchased some licenses for an iOS app for some of our film students. This all worked fine for the majority of the students, but one of them got confused and thought he needed to change his AppleID from a non-ND one to his official ND address (of course, you don't need to do that). Now his status in Jamf Pro is stuck at "iTunes Store URL created" and he isn't getting the app in his Purchases, where as the ones who have been successful have a status of "VPP user is associated with an iTunes Store account". Attached is what he is seeing on his device.
Is the go-to move here to revoke him and re-add him? Do I need to remove him from the scope of both the invitation and the assignment and then add him back?
I think I would remove him from the first and then create a separate invitation and assignment for him. I always had spotty luck re-adding. But it's been so a few years since we used user-based assignment so I don't recall the exact workflow...good luck and consider device-based in future 🙂
Thank you for the response. We don't manage student devices, this was a response to the COVID-19 situation and on-site classes at ND all going remote. So, these devices are not enrolled in Jamf Pro, nor do we want them to be, nor do the students probably want them to be. User Based Volume Assignments (pg. 663 in the admin guide for Jamf 10.20) seemed the only way to accomplish this and still retain control of the licenses.
Subsequent to posting this, one of the two students affected has successfully downloaded the software (FiLMiC, by the way). Apparently some combination of rebooting the phone and logging in and out of her AppleID shook something loose. I haven't heard back from the second one yet.