System Extension [activated waiting for user]

AdamCraig
Contributor III

I'm working on setting up a policy for GlobalProtect 5.1.4 which switches to System Extension from Kernel Extensions.

I've set up a config profile to approve the system extension. fb8d133279f343a9a8aa7c6c3f279f0a
First I tried just the team ID, then I added the ALLOWED SYSTEM EXTENSIONS as well.

but when I run systemextensionsctl list I get

1 extension(s)
--- com.apple.system_extension.network_extension
enabled active  teamID  bundleID (version)  name    [state]
    *   PXPZ95SK77  com.paloaltonetworks.GlobalProtect.client.extension (5.1.4-45/1)    GlobalProtectExtension  [activated waiting for user]

and System Preferences>Security & Privacy still has this prompt
4751968dfd244d518502080b83a14d82

How can I approve this for the user?
I tried a blanket PPPC config profile that just gave it all access, but still have that prompt.

Anyone know how to solve this?

33 REPLIES 33

jtrant
Valued Contributor

The configuration profile must be present before the client (and system extension) are installed, otherwise the user will still be prompted to allow.

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

#racecondition

--
https://donmontalvo.com

jtrant
Valued Contributor

Unfortunately, yes. I'm also not sure 'blanket' system extensions work in the same way they do with kernel extensions.
I had to explicitly name the extension in addition to providing the Team ID.

jkryklywec
New Contributor III

Correct with SEXT both team ID and extension name, however its appears there in the profile, perhaps the 1st section of the profile that lists just the team id only should be removed, for GP 5.1.4 I only have the 2nd item in the config TeamID and SEXT named. and its working for me. of course I still have the config layed down prior to deployment as its needed. FYI I also still have the GP KEXT profile on these machines as we are in transition haven't tried clean in stall without that.

bradtchapman
Valued Contributor II

Technically these are duplicates with conflicting permission. You may have been overly specific with the second item.

AFAIK the only reason to populate the "allowed system extensions" area is if you intend to whitelist only certain sexts from the same Team ID while blocking all other sexts. Inasfar as you trust the vendor, you should allow them all.

Remove the second payload and see what happens.

(On another note, why didn't Apple call these things Mac Extensions / MEXT, or Apple Extensions / AEXT, or User Extensions / UEXT? I fail to understand how this made it all the way through the development cycle and got product marketing's blessing. Somebody in the SWE group went through the trouble of calling the utility systemextensionsctl instead of sextctl, which would have otherwise mirrored the previous kext prefixes for that family of utilities. This suggests that someone was paying attention and danced around the issue during their scrum meetings.)

jkryklywec
New Contributor III

I believe for system extensions they can not be whitelisted with just team id (like KEXTS can be) they must Alis list the System Extension itself (so for me the 2nd part of the config profile with the names system extension com.paloal.xxxx must be used, it might not be working as the 1st part of the config profile lists only the team id and perhaps its getting stuck on that part, try a config profile with only the 2nd item listing the system extension by name and deploy system extension and install the app to see if it properly whitelists and enables the system extension

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

Looking to see if there was an open PI regarding signed Configuration Profiles uploaded to JSS 10.21.0, I came across this PI for System Extensions that sounds like it might be applicable here:

PI-007713 Jamf Pro fails to include the Allowed Team Identifiers setting in the System Extensions payload of a computer configuration profile.

AdamCraig
Contributor III

@jkryklywec @bradtchapman I used only the second payload, and also made sure the profile was installed before the software was installed and that seems to have resolved the issue. At least on my test computer.

daniel_behan
Contributor III

I can get the extension trusted
fc98a6b9bc424ead9ceae2af51057e14
but my issue is that end users will now receive a prompt stating ""GlobalProtect" Would like to Add VPN Configurations" with an Allow or Don't Allow button. I'd like to suppress that or automate the choice of "Allow"
e1511d83977e480a9170c1fd9086b201

TechM
New Contributor III

We started having issues with 5.0.8-4 and Catalina where any O365 traffic was having issues with Autosave (Word, Excel, PPT), syncing with OneDrive, Sharepoint (sites not loading), websites not loading completely, and Teams not sending messages. If the Gateway was changed or the GPCS was refreshed then the behavior briefly went away until the Gateway reconnected. Some days it was impossible to work, so I was able to disable VPN, but for end users, it's set to be always on.

I imagine that most users will just bypass autosave and save locally, which defeats the purpose of having OneDrive.

6b95ae30cad54a11b7bad90bd49a1758

We opened a case with Palo Alto, Microsoft, and Apple. Palo Alto said it was a Safari issue. Microsoft confirmed that they use Webkit in their apps, Apple said, hey we'd love to help (and I don't know what behind the scenes things might be happening, but there is no partnership that I know of between Palo Alto and Apple, so its a crapshoot?)

feea6cbbbe144964ac6debf6c1d179b1

One user got this from his ISP (COX Communications) along with his system warning him of his apps running out of memory.

bfb8ab1a3d56492eb08e9ff9acf1b7a6

f64cd55873364ac39e6df84a74cb894e

So Moving to 5.1.4-45 was supposed to fix this issue, except that at the time our version of Jamf didn't support the System Extension payload and there was little or very hard to find documentation for Mac on Palo Alto's site. Until this weekend when we upgraded from Jamf Pro 10.13.1 to 10.22.1 (yeah, I know). Still, now that we have the payload, we reached out to Palo Alto once again for documentation on how to configure their stuff, and I feel bad for the engineer, who was very helpful, even though he ended up finding this same article. (Personally, I think the devs don't know that MDM also applies for Mac, but whatever.)

Because of this oversight, they shared with us that the kext would be removed but don't account for the fact that it being whitelisted by MDM stays put, until the device is taken out of scope for the KEXT whitelist config profile. To me it would appear that support for Catalina may have been dropped altogether.

I tested 5.1.4-45 on a 13" 2018 MBP with 10.15.5 by completely uninstalling GPCS (with their uninstaller). Allowed the system Extension, manually, and still had issues with Teams. All other o365 products works as expected. Once I un-scoped the KEXT Profile, Teams and the Office apps worked without issue.

So now all that's left is to test this payload and address the issue @daniel.behan regarding ""GlobalProtect" Would like to Add VPN Configurations" with an Allow or Don't Allow button.

128b8e1e477742eabb416d68676eb755

But there is also one other issue that I am chasing a screenshot of, which is a Keychain login prompt. I should be talking to the engineer again before the week is out. I'll post my findings here once I hear back.

AdamCraig
Contributor III

@daniel.behan @TechM I think the allow VPN prompt comes from GP being on the computer Before the system extension config profile. When that happens I uninstall and reinstall GP. (we have a Self Service policy configured that Wipes GP off the computer, and reinstalls it and sets it back up. So I just tell Users to click that button and it's stopped that "Add VPN Configurations" prompt 100% of the time.

Regarding the keychain prompt, the user just needs to enter their password and click always allow. There isn't really another way around it that I've ever figured out, and I've asked about it and looked into it a decent amount.

TechM
New Contributor III

@strayer @daniel.behan Our challenge is the business wants this to be Always On and have as little user interaction as possible. Basically they want it totally automated.

I've found the article that talks about the Keychain login prompt.
https://docs.paloaltonetworks.com/globalprotect/5-1/globalprotect-app-release-notes/gp-app-release-information/globalprotect-app-upgrade-downgrade-considerations.html

Among other things, it says: "The following Keychain pop-up prompt can appear if the Save User Credentials option is enabled in the portal configuration"

3564801c7b9749b0b48e0d69d7e373b6

As for my test results from setting those two payloads, some of the issues came back that were experienced with Teams:

5993ec36a7b147ada7f0c4ea4ba72122

69e3e147c86c41d79102acf77e839f66

daniel_behan
Contributor III

@strayer I'd be curious to see how to avoid the prompt to allow a vpn configuration. I get it every time, even installing manually. And now there's an issue with PPPC because the bundle ID changed from com.paloaltonetworks.GlobalProtect in version 5.0.x to com.paloaltonetworks.GlobalProtect.client in version 5.1.x

I was able to make another profile for version 5.1.x, but it only works for new builds, but not upgrades. When a user upgrades, the Profile isn't honored. I had version 5.0.x uninstalled, reset the TCC settings on the Mac, applied the new Profile, then installed 5.1.x and it still prompted.

AdamCraig
Contributor III

@daniel.behan I'm really not sure why your experience is much different than mine, That prompt has only happened for us a few times, and each time our Reset GlobalProtect policy has fixed it.

I've attached screenshots of the 2 GlobalProtect related config profiles that are pushed to every Catalina Machine.

Our "Reset GlobalProtect" Self service option triggers 3 other policies in a row.
First is the uninstall global protect
then it installs the relevant GlobalProtect settings (a .plist that presets the portal). (we initially developed this to switch users from one portal to another automatically, but it has become a useful troubleshooting step for us.)
then it reinstalls the GlobalProtect application.

687e7e95d3564c8c8e8b272dc947dae4

e7e36daef7744f80b3ebfd35f38b50e6

Here is the script that I use to uninstall, I used suspicious package to take it out of the GlobalProtect install package.

#!/bin/sh

is_debug=1
if [[ "$1" ]] &&  [ $1 = "-d" ]; then
    is_debug=1
fi
echo "is_debug=$is_debug"

USER_ID=`id -u`

if [ "$USER_ID" -ne 0 ]; then
    echo "You must be root to run the script. Use sudo $0"
    exit
fi

CONSOLE_USER=`stat -f "%Su" /dev/console`
CONSOLE_HOME=`eval echo ~${CONSOLE_USER}`
run_as_console_user=1
console_user_id=`id -u ${CONSOLE_USER}`
if [ $CONSOLE_USER = "root" ]; then
    run_as_console_user=0
fi

install_dir=/Applications/GlobalProtect.app/Contents/Resources
app_log_dir=/Library/Logs/PaloAltoNetworks/GlobalProtect

mkdir -p "$app_log_dir"

uninstall_log_dir=$app_log_dir/PanGPInstall.log
if [ $is_debug -eq 1 ]; then
    uninstall_log_dir=/var/log/PanGPUninstall.log
fi

exit_code=0
((

checkAndWaitProcess()
    {
        if [[ "$2" ]]; then
            T="$2"
        else
            T=5
        fi

C=0
        while [[ C -lt $T ]] && 
              ( killall -s "$1" >/dev/null 2>/dev/null )
        do
            let C=C+1
            sleep 1
        done

killall -s $1 >/dev/null 2>/dev/null
        return $?
    }

pan_info()
    {
        curtime=`date`
        echo $curtime ' ' $1 >> ${uninstall_log_dir}
    }

curver=`defaults read ${install_dir}/../Info CFBundleShortVersionString`
    echo "

"
    pan_info "Uninstalling GlobalProtect version ${curver}, console user ${CONSOLE_USER}, home ${CONSOLE_HOME}"

pan_info "unloading gp agent"
    if [ $run_as_console_user -eq 1 ]; then
        launchctl bootout gui/$console_user_id /Library/LaunchAgents/com.paloaltonetworks.gp.pangps.plist
        launchctl bootout gui/$console_user_id /Library/LaunchAgents/com.paloaltonetworks.gp.pangpa.plist
    else
        launchctl remove com.paloaltonetworks.gp.pangps
        launchctl remove com.paloaltonetworks.gp.pangpa
    fi

pan_info "unloading gp daemon"
    launchctl remove com.paloaltonetworks.gp.pangpsd

#wait for 15 sec. while PanGPS quits
    if checkAndWaitProcess "PanGPS" 60; then
        pan_info "PanGPS didn't quit within 60 sec. Killing"
        killall -15 PanGPS
        if checkAndWaitProcess "PanGPS" 30; then
            pan_info "PanGPS didn't quit after SIGTERM within 30 sec."
        fi
    fi

#wait for 5 sec. while GlobalProtect quits
    if checkAndWaitProcess "GlobalProtect" 5; then
        pan_info "GlobalProtect didn't quit within 5 sec. Killing"
        killall -15 GlobalProtect
        if checkAndWaitProcess "GlobalProtect" 5; then
            pan_info "GlobalProtect didn't quit after kill within 5 sec."
        fi
    fi

ps aux | grep "/Applications/GlobalProtect.app/Contents/Resources/PanGPS" | grep -v grep
    if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then
        pan_info "PanGPS is still running, force exit"
        killall -9 PanGPS
    else
        pan_info "PanGPS has stopped"
    fi

ps aux | grep "/Applications/GlobalProtect.app/Contents/MacOS/GlobalProtect" | grep -v grep
    if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then
        pan_info "GlobalProtect is still running, force exit"
        killall -9 GlobalProtect
    else
        pan_info "GlobalProtect has stopped"
    fi

#check if agent and daemon has been removed from launchd
        if launchctl print gui/$console_user_id/com.paloaltonetworks.gp.pangps > /dev/null 2>&1; then
            pan_info "pangps agent not be removed"
            exit_code=249
        else
            pan_info "pangps agent has been removed"
        fi
        if launchctl print gui/$console_user_id/com.paloaltonetworks.gp.pangpa > /dev/null 2>&1; then
            pan_info "pangpa agent not be removed"
            exit_code=249
        else
            pan_info "pangpa agent has been removed"
        fi
    fi
    if launchctl print system/com.paloaltonetworks.gp.pangpsd > /dev/null 2>&1; then
        pan_info "pangpsd daemon not be removed"
        exit_code=249
    else
        pan_info "pangpsd agent has been removed"
    fi

pan_info "Unloading driver"
    ifconfig gpd0 down > /dev/null 2>&1
    kextstat -b com.paloaltonetworks.kext.pangpd | grep com.paloaltonetworks.kext.pangpd | grep -v grep
    if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then
        pan_info "unloading pangpd driver."
        kextunload -b com.paloaltonetworks.kext.pangpd
    fi
    kextstat -b com.paloaltonetworks.GlobalProtect.gpsplit | grep com.paloaltonetworks.GlobalProtect.gpsplit | grep -v grep
    if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then
        pan_info "unloading split tunnel driver"
        kextunload -b com.paloaltonetworks.GlobalProtect.gpsplit
    fi
    kextstat -b com.paloaltonetworks.GlobalProtect.gplock | grep com.paloaltonetworks.GlobalProtect.gplock | grep -v grep
    if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then
        pan_info "unloading enforcer driver"
        kextunload -b com.paloaltonetworks.GlobalProtect.gplock
    fi

if kextstat -b com.paloaltonetworks.kext.pangpd | grep com.paloaltonetworks.kext.pangpd | grep -v grep; then
        pan_info "unload pangpd kext failed."
        exit_code=250
    fi
    if kextstat -b com.paloaltonetworks.GlobalProtect.gpsplit | grep com.paloaltonetworks.GlobalProtect.gpsplit | grep -v grep; then
        pan_info "unload gpsplit kext failed."
        exit_code=250
    fi
    if kextstat -b com.paloaltonetworks.GlobalProtect.gplock | grep com.paloaltonetworks.GlobalProtect.gplock | grep -v grep; then
        pan_info "unload gplock kext failed."
        exit_code=250
    fi

pan_info "cleaning up sso" 
    cd ${install_dir}
    ./PanGPS -dsso

pan_info "Cleanup Dynamic Store"    
    echo "remove State:/Network/Service/gpd.pan/IPv4" | scutil 
    echo "remove State:/Network/Service/gpd.pan/DNS"  | scutil 

pan_info "rm all"
    rm -f "/Library/LaunchAgents/com.paloaltonetworks.gp.pangps.plist"
    rm -f "/Library/LaunchAgents/com.paloaltonetworks.gp.pangpa.plist"
    rm -f "/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.paloaltonetworks.gp.pangpsd.plist"

rm -rf "/Library/Application Support/PaloAltoNetworks/GlobalProtect"
    rm -rf "/Applications/GlobalProtect.app"
    rm -rf "/Applications/GlobalProtect.app.bak"
    rm -rf "/System/Library/Extensions/gplock.kext"
    rm -rf "/Library/Extensions/gplock.kext"
    rm -rf "/Library/Security/SecurityAgentPlugins/gplogin.bundle"

rm -rf /Library/Preferences/com.paloaltonetworks.GlobalProtect*
    rm -rf /Library/Preferences/PanGPS*

pan_info "removing gp user config files in (${CONSOLE_HOME})."
        rm -rf "$CONSOLE_HOME/Library/Application Support/PaloAltoNetworks/GlobalProtect"
        rm -rf "$CONSOLE_HOME"/Library/Preferences/com.paloaltonetworks.GlobalProtect*
        rm -rf "$CONSOLE_HOME"/Library/Preferences/PanGPS*
        #remove password entry from keychain
        security delete-generic-password -l GlobalProtect -s GlobalProtect "${CONSOLE_HOME}/Library/Keychains/login.keychain-db"
    fi

#10.9 addition to clear system preferences cache
    killall -SIGTERM cfprefsd

pan_info "uninstall packages from globalprotect"
    for pkg in `pkgutil --pkgs |grep com.paloaltonetworks.globalprotect`
    do 
        pkgutil --forget "$pkg"
    done
    rm -rf /Library/Logs/PaloAltoNetworks/GlobalProtect/*

pan_info "Uninstallation finished."
    exit $exit_code
)  2>&1) >> ${uninstall_log_dir}

TechM
New Contributor III

UPDATE:

Setting up two different Config Profiles to test with individually still has issues with connectivity with Teams and other internet connectivity. The only thing being managed at this point is the Config Profile.

The Mac is scoped.
Config Profile is verified.
Software is installed with the installer with the System Extensions box checked.
Both make no difference as it relates to performance.

CP #1
c595d9ad51f240f0818cee5f18c01476

CP#2
73554a8a65cd491483479dd187ac76a0

We still see this prompt:

2de7f19db660458ea200e802c10ac6d9

So then I looked in Little Snitch and I see this:

c0c8ad99179d451ebe6e74a7c0bd64d4

So that message is strange. I can't find any documentation on it. But I go and look at what's in that folder referenced above and I see each system extension for every time I installed GPCS. I tried uninstalling it while having it opened, and they don't come out. I tried deleting them myself and I get this message:

f9ea9c1727a04f3396f6db7b6b48d2c9

It was almost 1AM so I called it a night. I'm at a total loss here.

aarron_tilley
New Contributor II

Curious if anyone has managed to stop this VPN prompt from coming back up?

AdamCraig
Contributor III

@aarron.tilley https://knowledgebase.paloaltonetworks.com/KCSArticleDetail?id=kA14u000000HAW8 there are 4 config profiles linked on the article on their support site. I looked at the name of the network configuration (GlobalProtectDo) that the pop up was making and matched it to the one made by one of the config profile. (GlobalProtectSplitTunnelDomain) and that solved it for me so far. Hopefully that solves it for good.

aarron_tilley
New Contributor II

Thanks @strayer, that did solve it for me

jonw
Contributor

@strayer or @aaron.tilley I'm testing Global Protect with Big Sur beta & not having much luck... would you mind providing further details of the PA link above? I can't seem to get to the article. Thanks!!

AdamCraig
Contributor III

@jonw I haven't actually used it with Big Sur yet, unfortunately Palo keeps those behind a login wall. There are 4 config profiles on that page that you can download and install, If you don't have a login I'd suggest you have someone on your network team to log in and get them for you.

jonw
Contributor

@strayer Thanks, that's what I figured. Seems like an odd bit of info to obscure though. I have a ticket in to our network team, hopefully I'll hear something soon.

jtrant
Valued Contributor

Has anyone found a way to install the system extensions by default on macOS Big Sur? When manually running the installer you can check the box, but it's unclear if they install by default on Big Sur. I'm not getting any prompts which suggests they are not, but perhaps they do install if the required MDM profiles are installed on the system?

PAN support are in the dark on this one and point me to KB articles that don't really apply.

jkryklywec
New Contributor III

i use this script from the package and run after pkg install and it installs the SEXT

#!/bin/sh

out_dir="/Library/Logs/PaloAltoNetworks/GlobalProtect"

pan_info()
{
    curtime=`date`
    echo $curtime " " $1 >> ${out_dir}/PanGPInstall.log
}
pan_info "Install system extensions after installation"
sudo mkdir -p "/Library/Application Support/PaloAltoNetworks/GlobalProtect"
sudo touch "/Library/Application Support/PaloAltoNetworks/GlobalProtect/install_system_extensions.now"

exit 0

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

With GlobalProtect 5.2.3 my experience on macOS Catalina 10.15.7 is that even if you don’t specifically set the flag for installing the System Extension with a Choices XML file or the flag file mentioned above it will still be installed the first time a connection is enabled (I do have a Configuration Profile deployed with the appropriate enablements for GlobalProtect). I have not tested this yet on Big Sur.

Update 2021-04-21: With GlobalProtect 5.2.5-84 and macOS Big Sur 11.2.3 on an M1 Mac it appears that you can't rely on automatic installation of the GlobalProtect System Extension on the first connection attempt.

jtrant
Valued Contributor

Thanks @jkryklywec, @sdagley. Time to start testing!

TechM
New Contributor III

@sdagley Right, but if the set up is that you can't log into the client because the connection is needed to verify that it's you, then it's a chicken and egg situation. Meanwhile the user gets prompted with asks to allow for extensions where the buttons are not clickable and in the case of standard users they can't allow for the extension in System Prefs.
d5981d80505b479389825fef5cfbf31b

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@TechM If you deploy a Configuration Profile to approve the System Extension before GlobalProtect is installed then the user won't see that prompt.

TechM
New Contributor III

@sdagley I should have stated that this is the behavior with all the provided config profiles provided by Palo Alto that's on the KB behind the sign-in page.

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@TechM Those Configuration Profiles are for enabling specific functions of the GP client that require payloads not yet directly supported as of Jamf Pro 10.25.1. You still need to create the Configuration Profile with the System Extension payload described in the Enable System and Network Extensions using jamf PRO KB article.

TechM
New Contributor III

@sdagley Yep. All those are in there. I worked with PA to provide feedback for that page. However, when they were given the feedback that the UI was not allowing those buttons to be actioned, they ignored the feedback. All those payloads plus the ones that have to be configured on the customer end were not even on their radar until we encouraged them to update their documentation and separate their macOS KB from their iOS/iPadOS KBs.

In our case, clients MUST log in to their GP client before making a VPN connection. There is no way for that connection to be made without that login. How is GP going to know where to connect to if it can't even authenticate to begin with?

Or am I missing something?

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@TechM Are you using purely AD based logins? That's not really recommended. The more common approach is to have a local account on the Mac that is password synchronized with AD via a tool like Enterprise Connect or NoMAD (or Jamf Connect to use a Cloud IdP). That way a user can authenticate as admin on their Mac without an active network connection.

TechM
New Contributor III

@sdagley Yes, this is an AD environment. We know it's not recommended and have advised the business accordingly, As for being admins, not all business have their users set as admins for lots of reasons, regardless of active network connections.

My main gripe is the UI should at least be showing the buttons in the dialog so that some sort of dismissive action can be taken and to have PA acknowledge as much.

nikjamf
New Contributor III

Hello All,
Our company just got this client and I'm looking for the workflow on how to deploy the global Protect .pkg with the .plst connection file, I appreciated any help and suggestions. I try this script and cannot deploy the client.

!/bin/sh

sudo installer -pkg /private/var/tmp/GlobalProtectVPN/GlobalProtect.pkg -target /

In addition, this is an answer from Global Protect support on a support ticket:

"We do not currently qualify JAMF as a Mac management vendor. This is why our TAC does not have complete instructions for deploying GlobalProtect with JAMF. There is an existing feature request to support this and " company" has been added as a customer interested in this. However, there is not currently any timeline or commitment for it.

Have you worked with JAMF? I have no experience with it and my inquiries to other colleagues have yielded no additional information."