System preference option for Profiles

roiegat
Contributor III

I'm using MCX to hide certain system preferences. Everything seems to be working nicely until I tried to add a mobile profile. It tells me it can't open the "profiles" preference pane. But I tried adding com.apple.preferences.profiles to my list - but no luck.

Any suggestions?

3 REPLIES 3

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

From my Mac on 10.7:

$ defaults read /System/Library/PreferencePanes/Profiles.prefPane/Contents/Info CFBundleIdentifier
com.apple.preferences.configurationprofiles

Looks like the correct bundle ID for it is com.apple.preferences.configurationprofiles

I checked on a 10.8 Mac and its the same.

roiegat
Contributor III

Thanks!

Of course it couldn't have a normal name like "profiles"...had to be confusing.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Yeah, unfortunately Apple's Bundle IDs for their Pref Panes are kind of all over the place. Some use com.apple.systempreference, some use com.apple.systempreferences (note the plural) Some of the names of the pane don't really match what they are called in the GUI. Some are even funkier.

I had put a small script together to get a list back from Terminal of all the bundle IDs of Apple System PrefPanes just to help with having that all in one place. Try this out-

#!/bin/sh

userAccount=`who | awk '/console/{ print $1 }'`
PPList=`ls -l /System/Library/PreferencePanes/ | awk '/prefPane/{ print $NF }'`
OS=`sw_vers -productVersion | cut -d. -f1,2`

for i in $PPList; do
    # BI=`defaults read /System/Library/PreferencePanes/$i/Contents/Info CFBundleIdentifier`
    echo "$i:
    $(defaults read /System/Library/PreferencePanes/$i/Contents/Info CFBundleIdentifier)" >> /Users/$userAccount/Desktop/"$OS"_LibBundleIDs.txt
done

It exports out a text file to your Desktop.