Target Mode Imaging -- Logs Not Created?

sgrall-pfg
Contributor

When I use Target Mode Imaging, no logs are created within the Casper Imaging section in the JSS. However, "normal" imaging creates these logs.

Does anyone know if this is considered normal, or if somehow I'm missing a setting somewhere?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

nkalister
Valued Contributor

I've reported this in the past and was told that it is normal.
For some reason, the assumption is made that there will be no network present when using a local distribution point (aka 'Offline Imaging') so Casper Imaging doesn't try to submit the imaging logs to the JSS at all, even if the network is available . . . .

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

nkalister
Valued Contributor

I've reported this in the past and was told that it is normal.
For some reason, the assumption is made that there will be no network present when using a local distribution point (aka 'Offline Imaging') so Casper Imaging doesn't try to submit the imaging logs to the JSS at all, even if the network is available . . . .

sgrall-pfg
Contributor

Hmm. Thanks! It's not critical; I'm only using Target Mode Imaging until I have a chance to build out a NetBoot image (waiting on 10.8.3 so it can support all 2012 Macs).

JPDyson
Valued Contributor

But what if you're imaging locally because your DP is not local, and imaging over the WAN is painfully slow and causes problems for your other users at this location?

I don't think it's a safe assumption.

nkalister
Valued Contributor

JP, that's my attitude, too- there's no reason to assume the network will not be present when a local DP is used during imaging.

JPDyson
Valued Contributor

Let's let JAMF know :)

https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/featureRequest.html?id=1000

1000th feature request?! WHERE'S MAH T-SHIRT!