Temporarily suspend configuration profiles?

LiveSecure_11
New Contributor II

Is there any way to temporarily suspend a configuration profile for single user or on a single device? For example, we have a compliance requirement that prohibits the use of external USB storage devices; allowed by exception only. So if I have a user that has a sound business case for being temporarily allowed the use of USB storage function, how can I allow temporary access for him through Jamf if the config profile that has been pushed to his device is disallowing it?

thanks all!

1 REPLY 1

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@LiveSecure_11 You could create a Static Computer Group and add it as an Exclusion to the Scope for the Profile that disables USB access. When you add a computer to that group it will trigger removal of the Configuration Profile. A couple of problems you're going to encounter however:

1) It's been a couple of years since I tested the media restrictions payload, but as I recall it required a restart for any change to take effect.
2) Apple has deprecated the MediaManagementAllowedMedia key as of macOS Big Sur (see https://developer.apple.com/documentation/devicemanagement/mediamanagementallowedmedia) so at some point you're not going to be able to use a Configuration Profile to prohibit external USB storage.