Testing Firefox version and acting upon it

Veronica_G
New Contributor

Hello, I have an EA which reports back the version of Firefox installed on client machines in JAMF. The question is, what do you do with that once you want to take action (such as updating the version)? JAMF does not allow one to test the version for greater than or less than, only "is/is not" "like/not like" or regex, which is not helpful here that I can tell.

The goal here is to get everyone running less than Firefox 108 to be updated, but I'm not seeing how to do that with JAMF—at least not in a straightforward way.

I'd appreciate any insight, thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

I can think of two ways to do this.

First way is to use Patch Management Titles. If you create a Patch Management title for Firefox you then have access to the Latest Version criteria in a Smart Group. You can also set it to a specific version other than if you need.

CleanShot 2022-12-14 at 16.28.48.png

CleanShot 2022-12-14 at 16.29.41.png

Second option would be to utilize REGEX if you're already gathering the Firefox version in an EA. Of course you shouldn't need to use an EA to grab the FF version since that would be gathered by Jamf already and you could use App Title and App Version for criteria. But I digress... You can use @talkingmoose excellent REGEX generation script, Match Version Number or Higher.bash , to generate the necessary REGEX code to find devices running a version below what you set.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

I can think of two ways to do this.

First way is to use Patch Management Titles. If you create a Patch Management title for Firefox you then have access to the Latest Version criteria in a Smart Group. You can also set it to a specific version other than if you need.

CleanShot 2022-12-14 at 16.28.48.png

CleanShot 2022-12-14 at 16.29.41.png

Second option would be to utilize REGEX if you're already gathering the Firefox version in an EA. Of course you shouldn't need to use an EA to grab the FF version since that would be gathered by Jamf already and you could use App Title and App Version for criteria. But I digress... You can use @talkingmoose excellent REGEX generation script, Match Version Number or Higher.bash , to generate the necessary REGEX code to find devices running a version below what you set.

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

For anyone utilizing the regex approach, make_ge_version_regex is an optimized fork from Cameron Moore which will generate regex expressions up to 25% shorter than the original script. This is useful for version numbers that caused the original script to produce expressions >255 characters.