The imaging process is finishing installing software

hbatelaan
New Contributor II

Hi,
I've build a new Netboot image to deploy a new Casper image and I'm running into a couple of problems with both images. I'm rather new at Casper Suite software so please bear with me.

I Netboot via a new 10.7 Netboot image and I install a newly created 10.7 image via one of the default configurations. It copies Adobe CS and MS Office software and reboots. It comes to the 'The imaging process is finishing installing software'.

1. This screen takes considerably longer than before the new images. Where is the best place to look for errors and such when this window is active?

2. Is a progress bar of some sort possible in this screen?

3. I want to make absolutely sure that this screen remains active as long as software is being installed. The screen vanishes after about 20 minutes and not all software was installed. The screen vanishes, I end up in a 'Temporary Adobe Install Account' and the machine reboots minutes later. Looking in the Console.app I see software still being installed up to that point.

So the screen is good, and the reboot also, but I want the screen to remain active as long as software is being installed, and to end with a reboot.

Hope you can help. Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

hbatelaan
New Contributor II

In the last couple of days I did a lot of testing with the different configurations, system install, Netboot, scripts, packages, etc. It solved a lot of the problems I had with the Netboot/Install workflow. The problems as described in the OP were solved as well (with the help of JAMF support!).

To cut a long story short the Adobe and the Office package had a postflight script with the following command that had to be removed:

date '+%A %m/%d/%Y %H:%M:%S    Unlock screen' >> $LOG_FILE
killall jamfHelper

No idea why my predecessor had that included in both packages in the first place. But this causes the installer screen to disappear of course.

Then there was also a postflight script in the configuration as a whole that had the following line that had to be commented out:

# Activate default desktop background
killall loginwindow

As far as speed is concerned I build a clean Netboot as well as a clean OS image that seem to make the performance acceptable.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

nextyoyoma
Contributor

The best thing to do is to look for information in /var/jamf/log and system.log. You can do this in real time by remoting into the machine, but it isn't really necessary. Also, I have seen that trying to remote into the machine while this screen is active sometimes results in authentication problems (has anyone else seen that?).

hbatelaan
New Contributor II

Before posting here I contacted support and eventually they directed me to jamfnation.com. As it seems now they still have some suggestions, so I'm trying to work it out with support. But any tips on here will be greatly appreciated.

I really want this screen to remain active as long as software is beging installed. Having a progress bar of some sort would be a plus.

hbatelaan
New Contributor II

In the last couple of days I did a lot of testing with the different configurations, system install, Netboot, scripts, packages, etc. It solved a lot of the problems I had with the Netboot/Install workflow. The problems as described in the OP were solved as well (with the help of JAMF support!).

To cut a long story short the Adobe and the Office package had a postflight script with the following command that had to be removed:

date '+%A %m/%d/%Y %H:%M:%S    Unlock screen' >> $LOG_FILE
killall jamfHelper

No idea why my predecessor had that included in both packages in the first place. But this causes the installer screen to disappear of course.

Then there was also a postflight script in the configuration as a whole that had the following line that had to be commented out:

# Activate default desktop background
killall loginwindow

As far as speed is concerned I build a clean Netboot as well as a clean OS image that seem to make the performance acceptable.