The networkQuality Is Not Strained

brockwalters
Contributor II

I posted this in the macadmin Slack & kind of forgot to post it here...

Just a 1st crack at it, but, I put this in Self Service so users can run the networkQuality tests. 

• It gives the user the choice to run the parallel or serial test
  • It shows a progress screen
  • It displays the results at the end of the test in a dialog

You may need to set AppleScript PPPC exceptions but these osascript commands for the most part on recent versions of macOS should be fine without them. Enjoy!

P.S. macOS Monterey only as far as I know... Sorry.

#!/bin/zsh

filpth='/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources'
tsttyp=$(/usr/bin/osascript -e "choose from list {\"Download + Upload Speed\", \"Video Conferencing\"} with title \"Network Quality Test\" with prompt \"Please select test type to begin:\"")
case "$tsttyp" in
				  'false' ) exit ;;
'Download + Upload Speed' ) icnsnm='GenericNetworkIcon'
							option='-sv' ;;
	 'Video Conferencing' ) icnsnm='GroupIcon'
							option='-v' ;;
esac

/usr/bin/osascript -e "display dialog \"Test in progress...\n\" buttons {\"Cancel\"} with icon POSIX file \"$filpth/$icnsnm.icns\" with Title \"Network Quality Test - $tsttyp\"" &
prgpid=$!

/usr/bin/networkquality "$option" | /usr/bin/sed '/SUMMARY/d' > /private/tmp/summary.txt &
while true
do
	if [ -n "$(/bin/cat /private/tmp/summary.txt)" ]
	then
		break
	fi
	if /bin/kill -s 0 "$prgpid"
	then
		>&2 echo "waiting for networkquality..."
		/bin/sleep 3
	else
		exit
	fi
done

>&2 echo "$(/bin/cat /private/tmp/summary.txt)"
/usr/bin/osascript -e "display dialog \"$(/bin/cat /private/tmp/summary.txt)\" buttons {\"Ok\"} default button 1 with icon POSIX file \"$filpth/$icnsnm.icns\" with Title \"Network Quality Test - $tsttyp\""
/bin/rm -rf /private/tmp/summary.txt 
/bin/kill -9 "$prgpid"

11_23_42.jpg11_24_09.jpg

10 REPLIES 10

AVmcclint
Honored Contributor

This looks very cool! I tried running it in Terminal and got the Test in Progress window, but Terminal just said 

no such file or directory: /usr/bin/networkquality

Sure enough, that file does not exist. Where can one obtain said file? 

AVmcclint
Honored Contributor

aaahhhhh.... it's only in Monterey. I ran it on my Monterey Mac and it does look very handy..

brockwalters
Contributor II

Yes. I kind of failed to mention that. 🙂 Sorry!

wnetto-aix
New Contributor

This is excellent, thank you!

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

Guessing it no likey proxy servers. #sigh

+1 Kudo, since I know if @brockwalters wrote it, it works. :)

--
https://donmontalvo.com

AVmcclint
Honored Contributor

I tried the script as a policy in Self Service under Sonoma and the output is unreadable. When I run the networkquality command (not in the script) on Sonoma in Terminal, it runs and produces readable output. When I run the script in Self Service on Monterey and Ventura, it also produces readable output.  Any ideas as to what changed in Sonoma?

IMG_0340.JPG

AVmcclint
Honored Contributor

I’m digging through it and I see that the output of the networkquality -v (verbose) command in Sonoma doesn’t have “summary”. The script’s call for sed to parse that out fails. It needs to look for the line that says “verbose” and parse that. I’ve played around with editing the script accordingly and running it locally, but I can’t seem to make it work.  I know I’m a sed/awk idiot so there’s little chance I’ll be able to fix it on my own. 

AVmcclint
Honored Contributor

After dancing with ChatGPT for a while to get the grammar of awk correct, I have come up with a script that will work on Monterey, Ventura, and Sonoma.  I know it's not efficient, but it works. Basically I took the core of the script and made 2 functions with it. One function is for Monterey/Ventura and the other function is for Sonoma - the difference is whether it looks for "SUMMARY" or "Verbose". After defining the functions, then it does an OS check and that will determine which function it will run. 

#!/bin/zsh
# https://community.jamf.com/t5/jamf-pro/the-networkquality-is-not-strained/td-p/254301

ventura() {
option='0'
tsttyp=$(/usr/bin/osascript -e "choose from list {\"Download + Upload Speed\", \"Video Conferencing\"} with title \"Network Quality Test\" with prompt \"Please select test type to begin:\"")
    case "$tsttyp" in
        'false' ) exit ;;
            option='1' ;;
            option='2';;
    esac

/usr/bin/osascript -e "display dialog \"Test in progress...\n\" buttons {\"Cancel\"} with icon POSIX file \"$filpth/$icnsnm.icns\" with Title \"Network Quality Test - $tsttyp\"" &
    prgpid=$!

if [[ $option == 1 ]] ; then
        /usr/bin/networkquality -sv | /usr/bin/sed '/SUMMARY/d' > /private/tmp/summary.txt &
    else
        /usr/bin/networkquality -v | /usr/bin/sed '/SUMMARY/d' > /private/tmp/summary.txt &
    fi
    while true
    do
        then
            break
        fi
        then
            /bin/sleep 3
        else
            exit
        fi
    done

result="$(/bin/cat /private/tmp/summary.txt)"
    >&2 echo "$result"
    /usr/bin/osascript -e "display dialog \"$result\" buttons {\"Ok\"} default button 1 with icon POSIX file \"$filpth/$icnsnm.icns\" with Title \"Network Quality Test - $tsttyp\""
    #/bin/rm -rf /private/tmp/summary.txt 
    /bin/kill -9 "$prgpid"
        }

sonoma() {
        option='0'
            case "$tsttyp" in
                'false' ) exit ;;
                    option='1' ;;
                    option='2';;
            esac

prgpid=$!

if [[ $option == 1 ]] ; then
                /usr/bin/networkquality -sv | awk '/Verbose/ {flag=1; next} flag;' > /private/tmp/summary.txt &
            else
                /usr/bin/networkquality -v | awk '/Verbose/ {flag=1; next} flag;' > /private/tmp/summary.txt &
            fi
            while true
            do
                then
                    break
                fi
                then
                    /bin/sleep 3
                else
                    exit
                fi
            done

result="$(/bin/cat /private/tmp/summary.txt)"
            >&2 echo "$result"
            /usr/bin/osascript -e "display dialog \"$result\" buttons {\"Ok\"} default button 1 with icon POSIX file \"$filpth/$icnsnm.icns\" with Title \"Network Quality Test - $tsttyp\""
            /bin/kill -9 "$prgpid"
            }

########## OS check ################
# Fetch the macOS version
os_version=$(sw_vers -productVersion)

# Extract the major version number
major_version=$(echo $os_version | cut -d. -f1)

# Check the major version number and echo the corresponding message
if [ "$major_version" = "13" ]; then
        echo "running ventura command"
        ventura
elif [ "$major_version" = "12" ]; then
		echo "running ventura command"
        ventura 
elif [ "$major_version" = "14" ]; then
		echo "running sonoma command"
        sonoma
else
        echo "This version is not Ventura or Sonoma."
fi
#####################################

The output in Sonoma has more details so the window displaying the results can get kinda long, but it should still fit on your screen.

AVmcclint
Honored Contributor

oops... for some reason I can't edit the script here on JamfNation.  You will want to uncomment (remove the #) the two instances of 

brockwalters
Contributor II

Thanks for the update! I'll take a look at it in detail.