The Package XXXXX failed to save.

SynapticCleft
New Contributor III

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ledvinar
New Contributor II

I am also guessing it's not specifically Jamf Admin 10.35, or else we would see a lot more comments on this forum.  

The package that generated the "package failed to save" error in Jamf Admin 10.35 did not show up at all when I went to update a policy or in Settings > Packages.  Our distribution point is on a file share on the same server as Jamf Pro.  I was able to take the same package, upload with Jamf Admin 10.34.2, and deploy it successfully with both policies and patch management.  

View solution in original post

51 REPLIES 51

SynapticCleft
New Contributor III

After creating a new .pkg file using Composer, I attempt to add that file to my on-prem JAMF Pro server.  After it has seemingly completed the upload, it fails with a dialog that says, "The package "XXXXX" failed to save.  If I go to the server and find that very package, it opens and installs just fine.  I just upgraded to 10.35.0, by the way.  That might have something to do with it.  Dot Zero installs always unnerve me. 

Same here. But DP isn't on the same server: JamfPro is on Linux, the DP is on a Windows-Share.

howie_isaacks
Valued Contributor II

What type of distribution point is this? From what you wrote, it sounds like you are running Jamf Pro on a Mac. I vaguely remember getting a similar error when I used to run Jamf Pro from a Mac. Could you provide a screenshot of the error?

Screen Shot 2022-01-07 at 2.13.12 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-07 at 11.47.32 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-07 at 11.51.03 AM.png

 these are screenshots using two different VMs as a test.  two were from Big Sur and the other Mojave. 

howie_isaacks
Valued Contributor II

I wonder if this is a Jamf Pro privileges issue with the user account that is logged into Jamf Admin. The user you're logging in with needs to have "Use Jamf Admin" and "Save With Jamf Admin" privileges. Is this a totally new Jamf Pro server you're working with?

Screen Shot 2022-01-07 at 16.23.09.png

It is not new at all.  has been around for a while.  I do have a second login that I will try as a test.  Thanks for all of the great ideas!   

ledvinar
New Contributor II

I'm having the same problem with our on-prem Jamf Pro server since upgrading to 10.35 today.  We get the same error message when uploading packages using Jamf Admin 10.35.  I went to another Mac and used Jamf Admin 10.34.2 and the same package uploaded without error.  

SynapticCleft
New Contributor III

Ah-ha!

howie_isaacks
Valued Contributor II

It's not Jamf Admin 10.35 specifically. I just uploaded a package to one of my Jamf Pro servers using Jamf Admin 10.35 and it worked. Our servers are all on premise. We use AWS for all of our distribution points. Since your package actually got stored in your distribution point, can you put it in a policy? The Jamf Pro server log or Change Management may have useful information to help with this.

ledvinar
New Contributor II

I am also guessing it's not specifically Jamf Admin 10.35, or else we would see a lot more comments on this forum.  

The package that generated the "package failed to save" error in Jamf Admin 10.35 did not show up at all when I went to update a policy or in Settings > Packages.  Our distribution point is on a file share on the same server as Jamf Pro.  I was able to take the same package, upload with Jamf Admin 10.34.2, and deploy it successfully with both policies and patch management.  

howie_isaacks
Valued Contributor II

Interesting. Since I don't use a local file share I can't recreate this... but I wonder if this is a problem with your macOS privacy settings. Maybe the newer Jamf Admin isn't allowed to access files on your Mac.

LeeGibson
New Contributor III

It certainly is specifically Jamf Admin 10.35 for me with my brief experience with it. Never had this issue with any previous versions. Looks like 10.34.2 for me.

I also seen the same issue on 10.36 just released.  Hopefully Jamf actually read this. 

same here. Just updated to 10.36 and couldn't get a simple package to work. Installed the 10.34.2 and it even accepted the package that was already on the DP. Saved it after adding category and indexing. Tested the install as well without any issues.

abyrd
New Contributor II

I've had the same issue. Jamf support confirmed that it's related to issue PI-010453. My workaround was also moving back to Jamf Admin 10.34.2. All is good.

cvanderzie
New Contributor II

10.36.1 here. Using 10.34.2 worked for me as well. Looks like the issue is still present. 

djwojo
Contributor

Haven't tested it yet, but saw this:

PI-010453
New packages fail to upload in Jamf Admin 10.35.0 or later. Workaround: Upload new packages using Jamf Admin 10.34.x with Jamf Pro 10.35.0 or later.

howie_isaacks
Valued Contributor II

I'm glad I'm not having this issue but I wonder what makes my experience different. After upgrading my servers I always load the latest version of the Jamf apps on my Macs.

Thank you so much for this. I have been frustrated over this for the past 2 days, since I came back from holidays!
I have finally uploaded a new package successfully!
It was doing my head in!

echave
New Contributor III

Can confirm. A previous version of Jamf Admin works without issue. 

SynapticCleft
New Contributor III
Outstanding!! Thanks for the workaround!

Ed

Rumor has it that 10.37 has the fix. 

Samstar777
Contributor II

Hi All,

I would like to update each one of you who are using Jamf On Prep and on Mac device to read below mention deprecation from Jamf which will be effective from March 2022.

• Support ending for the Jamf Pro Server Installer for macOSSupport for using the Jamf Pro Installer for macOS will be discontinued in a future release (estimated removal date: March 2022). Mac computers with Apple silicon are not supported by the Jamf Pro Installer for macOS. If you want to migrate your Jamf Pro server from macOS to Jamf Cloud, contact Jamf Support via Jamf Account. If you want to keep your server on premise, you can migrate your Jamf Pro server from macOS to one of the following servers: Red Hat Enterprise Linux, Ubuntu, or Windows. For more information, see the Migrating to Another Server article.

Hope this will help.

-Sam

achmelvic
New Contributor III

Thanks for the heads up but I don't think this is relevant here. 

Our third party hosted (so in effect an on-prem install) instance is on a linux box and displays this issue. 

Defo looks to be due to the PI @djwojo mentioned above.

jlattke
New Contributor III

Short Description on our Setting here:

• Jamf Pro on Linux 10.35
  • Distribution Point on Windows Share
  • Jamf Admin 10.35 on M1-Mac fails (can't upload, we see the file but without checksum and it don't work); Jamf Admin has full disc access
  • Jamf Admin 10.34 on Intel-Mac works just fine
  • Went back to Jamf Admin 10.34.2 on M1 … and everything works fine again!

Solution: Just don't use Jamf Admin 10.35

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

@djwojo thanks for the Product Issue info, confirmed our 10.35.0 environment was impacted, and deploying Jamf Admin 10.34.2 fixed the issue.

--
https://donmontalvo.com

lohika_old
New Contributor II

Hi,
After upgrading Jamf Admin tools to (Jamf Admin 10.35) got the issue with saving packages.
-Also after you get the error you can re-login to Jamf Admin you will see 2-4 times massage that the same package "The package "***" cant be saved".
-Also, you see this package "in red " in the list of attributes of Casper Share. But when you are trying to delete it manually you will get: The package "****".pkg could not be deleted because there are other packages based on it.

Downgraded to (Jamf Admin 10.34.2) - works fine without any errors!

jbosma
New Contributor II

same issue here, windows 2019 server.  as soon as I upgrade to jamf 10.35, admin won't let me upload packages with same error messages from above.  going back to 10.34.2 admin and it works fine.

jbosma
New Contributor II

was also getting a message about not being able to delete packages from admin, that the package was being used by another policy.  It wasn't be used, as soon as I reverted back to 10.34.2, that issue also went away.

aprild
New Contributor III

Putting this here to add to the list:  Upgraded to 10.35 last night, tried uploading a .dmg and also getting "The package "***" cant be saved." Cannot see the package in JAMF Admin, however when I try a second time to upload it asks me to replace the package. Rolled back to 10.34.2 JAMF Admin and was able to upload successfully.

sascha_neuroth
New Contributor II

same issues here

mhasman
Valued Contributor

Same issue here. Updated PROD environment on Friday

sirsir
Contributor

Same here; except using 10.34.2 as a workaround doesn't work for uploading packages either. 

willsmithcc
New Contributor II

Having the same issue with 10.35. Trying 10.34.2 and will report back in a few.

Worked like a dang charm! lol

donjakubczak
New Contributor III

I also had to revert to an earlier version of Jamf Admin as this started happening to me as well.   We use the cloud version of Pro if that matters.

PictureProducti
New Contributor III

Has there been a solution to this that doesn't involve downgrading?

Just upgraded my on prem and got caught out by this issue. I am noticing it seems to be taking a lot longer to mount the distribution point. I am on Monterey, and my server and repository in on a Windows Server 2012 r2 with repo on the same server.

dmueller
Contributor

While we haven't updated our server to 10.36.0 yet, we see the same error with that version of Jamf Admin on a 10.35.0 server. 

ctomsccad
New Contributor II

I'm still getting this same error on 10.36 and have to downgrade to 10.34 for packages to upload successfully. Is there some other workaround or a bug fix for this, or something on the MacOS settings I'm not seeing? Just curious what's actually causing this error.