Time Incorrect on DEP iPad - Cannot Download Configuration

graines
New Contributor II

Hi all,

I have a DEP iPad that I'm trying to set up using PreStage Enrollment. I'm on Eastern time, and when I start up the iPad, it's shows Pacific time. It does not download the profile, and gives the error "The configuration for your iPad could not be downloaded."

Per the suggestions in the thread below, I've tried restarting the iPad, waiting a few moments, connecting to a hotspot, and removing the self-signed certificate, all to no avail.

https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/discussions/18846/dep-ipad-cant-download-configuration

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4

Dylan_YYC
Contributor III

Ah yes.... this issue. I find that the time zone on the iPad during setup isn't important, as long as its able to get network time. What i have issues with in the past was the time on our JSS server drifting. We use a local Ubuntu box and the time likes to drift after a few months. Resetting that solves my issues! hope that helps out!

Canniff
New Contributor III

graines
New Contributor II

Thanks Dylan. I believe the iPad is getting network time, as the clock appears once connected to wifi, and it is correct, just in the wrong time zone. I checked the time on our JSS machine and it is also correct.

AVmcclint
Honored Contributor

The timezone shouldn't matter. As long as the times on the device and on your JSS server are some derivative of GMT ± x hours (or whatever your timezone configuration may be) it should see it as the same time. Modern devices expect that servers they talk to might be in different parts of the world. If your server is GMT +6 and your device is GMT -10, AND they both are in sync (within a few minutes) with an atomic clock somewhere on planet Earth (preferably Apple's), it's all the same time.

I've seen a post on here where their organizations time server was deliberately off by like 20 minutes and of course nothing worked with regard to certificates. As long as that's not your situation, it might not be a time issue.