I keep getting this error using the new 9.3 stable.
Unable to contact https://mdmenrollment.apple.com to add a device to a PreStage enrollment
I see this under PreStage Enrollments when I create a new one and save it.
My iPads are erroring out :
The configuration for your iPad could not be downloaded from ****
The operation couldn't be completed. (NSURLErrorDomain error -1012.)
Please help. Thanks
EDIT: When I go to this site https://mdmenrollment.apple.com
I see this:
The requested URL was not found on this server.
@jmercier when you log into http://deploy.apple.com/ and click on Admins it will list all the accounts that have access to your DEP account. See the attached screen shot for what I am referring to.
We have five in ours. But only the two highlighted in green have the ability to accept the terms and conditions. Those people will get an email from Apple typically telling them they need to accept the new terms and conditions. If they don't do that your DEP instance doesn't work correctly until they have.
I am having this exact same issue and I've done just about everything listed. I've converted the built of our ipad inventory with prestage to JAMF 9.96 successfully but i have 3 iPad 2's and 2 new iPad Pro's I cannot do this with. I am getting the NSURL -1012 error. I've ensured my time is correct on the iPads and JSS. I've reissued new keys and certs everywhere. I've added the PKI anchor cert to the prestage. I've also ensured the iPads are attached to the JSS in School Manager and still i get this error on just these iPads.
I'm not seeing an errors in the JSS infact what I do see is it reports the ipads as assigned then when i get the error, which is after I click next on ipad where it says my organization will automatically configure you iPad, I receive a completed log but the iPad shows the NSURL -1012 error
After multiple troubleshooting steps
Renewed server token file
Replaced the public key
made sure the time and date were correct on the JSS Server
Accepted the new Terms and Agreement from Apple
I ended up renewed server token file, replaced the public key again and creating a new Prestage Enrollment
so far we do not have any errors