Update mobile apps automaticaly..to much

tsossong
New Contributor III

I am using the following settings:
Mobile Device Management -> App Updates -> update all apps automaticaly on 4:30 a.m.

In each app i used the force update hook.

Now i reached a interesting behavior:

This installation is used in a school enviroment so games are not allowed on the iPads. The students using theyre own Apple IDs and also can buy apps beside the self service apps. Mostly games as you can mention. Now, the administrative teacher deletes the bought games (which will not provided by Casper Suite) and held the iPads locked over night. At the next morning all apps, also the deleted games are installed back again.

Could it be that the settings above force the Apple ID/iPad/AppStore to update all content bought on this Apple ID and reinstall even deleted content?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

kitzy
Contributor III

My best guess here is that since the inventory only updates once per day, the JSS still "thinks" the games are installed, so it pushes an update (which is really just an install) to the device, causing the deleted apps to be reinstalled.

To test this, delete an app from two iPads. On one, force an inventory update from the JSS. On the other, do not force an update. See which (if any) iPads have the app installed the next day.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Look
Valued Contributor III

You might find that iPads that are doing this are still signed in with the alternative Apple ID (i.e. The students personal one). Try signing them out the night before and see if the behaviour persists.
I can't imagine it would reinstall apps not available to the currently signed in ID.

kitzy
Contributor III

My best guess here is that since the inventory only updates once per day, the JSS still "thinks" the games are installed, so it pushes an update (which is really just an install) to the device, causing the deleted apps to be reinstalled.

To test this, delete an app from two iPads. On one, force an inventory update from the JSS. On the other, do not force an update. See which (if any) iPads have the app installed the next day.