Upgrade Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite to 10.11 ElCapitan (Using Shell or Apple Script)

prabhu490730
New Contributor

Hi All,

Is there any way to Upgrade Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite to 10.11 ElCapitan through Shell Scripting or Apple Scripting.
We're using IBM BigFix Mac Software Deployment to Install/Update the applications on the endpoints. But unable to push .dmg/.pkg/.pkgs to upgrade OS from 10.10 to 10.11 using BigFix Relevance Scripting.

Limitation in BigFix using Patch Management:

BigFix patch management has ability to update the version running on same platform (For E:g, ElCapitan 10.11.3/4 into 10.11.6).
The 10.11.6 Update is recommended for all users running Mac OS X El Capitan (Earlier version into the latest one). It includes general operating system fixes that enhance the stability, compatibility, and security of your Mac.

But there should have the way using custom script (Sh or Apple Script) which can be implemented through BigFix.
Any help on this will be highly appreciated...!!!

7 REPLIES 7

Taylor_Armstron
Valued Contributor

No Casper/JSS in the equation?

prabhu490730
New Contributor

Correct @Taylor.Armstrong,
We're not using Casper/JSS for this implementation. Need to push it from BigFix.
Any Shell/Apple script which deploys this process that can be implemented through BigFix.
For E.g: de5f4aa99510403c85316ba03d05ac6a
We can use sh/apple script instead of BigFix Relevance scripting for this equation.
Note: Through BigFix Relevance Scripting, we're unable to deploy it.

Please suggest...!

rtrouton
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@prabhu490730,

Unfortunately I don't believe you're going to be able to find many folks here with BigFix experience, as this is a forum for supporting Jamf's Casper management. You may want to try posting your question in the BigFix forum:

https://forum.bigfix.com/

mpermann
Valued Contributor II

@prabhu490730 couldn't you write a bash script that uses curl to copy the .pkg file from a local web server to the computer then run the command line version of the installer to install the package? Maybe something along these lines:

curl -o /tmp/mypackage.pkg "http://my.domain.com/packages/mypackage.pkg"
sudo installer -allowUntrusted -pkg /tmp/mypackage.pkg -target /

prabhu490730
New Contributor

@rtrouton ,

Yes, I'm a member of BigFix Forum. But I don't think we developer has the way out to roll this equation.
I've tried there but folks not much aware of this plan, So I posted on JAMF.
I keep on checking with Mac Os X Dev team parallelly on BigFix Forum to get this done.
Thank You for your response!

prabhu490730
New Contributor

@mpermann I've tried the script for CC-Cleanup (Testing).
Script:

curl -o /tmp/CCMacSetup112.dmg "http://my.domain.com:52311/Uploads/ff4f57b56a9ec5079aeeb4c237a8bc6585d8d6c2/CCMacSetup112dmg.tmp"
sudo installer -allowUntrusted -pkg /tmp/CCMacSetup112.dmg -target /

Action shows completed, But getting Exit code 1 (Partial success; this means at least something, or possibly everything, failed to succeed). I couldn't see CC-CleanUp app installed on end-user.
a870ddd1aa2c4298a4d5d706e23ccaad

Please, advise!

mpermann
Valued Contributor II

@prabhu490730 I don't know what CC-Cleanup is. Also, in the curl command your file name has .tmp on the end, why is that? The installer command can only install a standard .pkg file not a .dmg. If you're going to try and deploy something from a .dmg file your going to need to mount the dmg so you can access whatever is on the dmg. Why don't you start with something simple like deploying a Composer created .pkg that installs Firefox or TextWrangler just so you can see if you can get it to work with BigFix or not. I don't really know anything about BigFix and have never used the software so I'm not sure I'll be much help.