Upgrade to El Cap via Self Service

exno
Contributor

I am testing User initiated upgrades via self service and have come across an oddity that i have never seen..

Normally when upgrading via self service, the user clicks to run a policy that installs based on the cached installer. This then restarts the mac and runs through the upgrade like you would expect it to.

10.11 for some reason reboots into a recovery environment, requiring the User to click on the option to install OSX 10.11, then select volume to install to, and finally enter in App Store information...

Has anyone seen similar behavior with 10.11 and know of a solution we can use to get it to run less like a recovery drive and more like an installer/upgrade..

- I am @exno or @exnozero on almost everything that exists.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

While @psliequ is correct, CreateOSXInstallPKG works, you may just have a setting off on your policy to install. @exno do you have the restart tab on your install policy configured? I've had success with all of my Self Service upgrades (10.8 up to 10.11) with having the Restart Options configured like the following:

http://cl.ly/image/352w1h1V093y/Screen%20Shot%202015-10-01%20at%209.16.00%20AM.png

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

psliequ
Contributor III

CreateOSXInstallPKG makes packages that do what you're looking for;

here

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

While @psliequ is correct, CreateOSXInstallPKG works, you may just have a setting off on your policy to install. @exno do you have the restart tab on your install policy configured? I've had success with all of my Self Service upgrades (10.8 up to 10.11) with having the Restart Options configured like the following:

http://cl.ly/image/352w1h1V093y/Screen%20Shot%202015-10-01%20at%209.16.00%20AM.png

exno
Contributor

@stevewood that would be it... I typically set the same Restart Options and had never had issues in the past. Seems it didn't save my changes to the restart options this time though... I probably should have checked that when it white screened twice during policy creation lol.

still not sure how it was booting to recovery from current startup disk but this did fix my issue.

Thanks!

- I am @exno or @exnozero on almost everything that exists.

jrserapio
Contributor

@stevewood Hey Steve, can you repost the screenshot?
Thanks!

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

jrserapio
Contributor

@stevewood

Sorry for the late reply, but the screenshot still doesnt show up for me. I will check at home where there are less restrictions. Thanks regardless.

krispayne
Contributor

http://imgur.com/JZAqdI2

Imgur link for those of us that have corporate blocking of anything and everything ever that's on the internet.

And attached for good measure as well.47e5e22dc8e94f5699c62ea1af0fa5d2

MarcosMunoz
New Contributor III

Are you guys seeing any issues with FileVault-encrypted machines? I'm having no luck.

rqomsiya
Contributor III

@mmunoz2 I'm having the same issue. I'm attempting to see which of the 3 policies (outlined by rtrouton) i need to enable the FV2 authenticated restart on. I suspect its the El Capitan Upgrade that includes the script. I'll follow-up with my findings...