Version 9 - Deploying .mpkg via Casper Remote or Policy

mark_sampers
Contributor

Is anyone else having issues deploying a non-flat pkg and/or mpkg since upgrading to version 9.2? In the past (v 8.71) we were successful installing our Sophos Anti-Virus.mpkg via Casper Remote or a Policy. Now our installs fail. (Casper Remote will indicate the install was a success but the view log shows it failed.) The mpkg will install properly if part of an image configuration. Currently we are using Apple Remote to install the Sophos Anti-Virus.mpkg, post-image, as a work around. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

21 REPLIES 21

hkim
Contributor II

Do other non flat packages also seem to fail for you?

jwojda
Valued Contributor II

did you click migrate in Casper Admin?

mark_sampers
Contributor

In response to hkim, I have older pkgs that also fail. These are pkgs I've copied directly from the vendor like Apple's Extra Content for Garage Band. I also, have pkgs I've created and vendor pkgs that install properly without an issue.

In response to jwojda, I haven't done the migration in Casper Admin since we are not using a Cloud Distribution Point or JDS in our set-up. I'm still undecided on running the migration.

-Mark

hkim
Contributor II

I think you answered your own question Mark, JSS 9 needs either flat packages, or data need to be migrated into the new style which will zip up those older style packages.

https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/article.html?id=327

mark_sampers
Contributor

I haven't migrated our packages or Scripts. The "File Share Distribution Point" infrastructure doesn't require migration. Though, it looks like, I may need to consider doing this to compress the pkgs. (The link posted, doesn't address a non-migrated set-up.) Oh well...

Thank you,

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@hkim as per your linked KB migration is only needed of moving to Cloud Distribution or JDS.

If you have upgraded from the Casper Suite v8.x and you want to utilize the cloud distribution point, a JAMF Distribution Server (JDS) instance, or the script editor in the JSS, you must first migrate all the scripts and packages on your master distribution point.

@mark.sampers, with Sophos you need to cache it then Install. Can you try that?

hkim
Contributor II

Although the KB says that, from my own experience moving from 8 to 9 using the same repository, bundle style packages were not handled gracefully, migration seem to help that issue though, and JDS / Cloud distribution was not in play. YMMV.

bentoms

@hkim, fair enough.

I just don't want you to be right as it'll cause me problems!!

(Sorry!!).

mark_sampers
Contributor

Caching the package and then installing makes sense to me but the mpkg still fails. Ben, thank you for the suggestion.

bentoms

@mark.sampers.. Can you post the view log?

mark_sampers
Contributor

Here's the log:

Sending Wake On LAN command...
Opening SSH Connection to 10.x.xx.xx...
Authenticating...
Successfully authenticated.
Verifying Computer's Identity...
The MAC Address has been verified.
Checking Operating System Version...
Running Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549)
Verifying /usr/sbin/jamf...
/usr/sbin/jamf is current (9.2)
Verifying /Library/Preferences/com.jamfsoftware.jamf.plist...
Preparing Policy...
Executing Policy 2013-11-05 at 2:20 PM | mark.sampers | 1 Computer...
Caching package...
Downloading Sophos Anti-Virus.mpkg...
80%
Failed to download files from http://server.school.org/CasperShare/Packages/Sophos%20Anti-Virus.mpkg/index.bom.
Submitting log to https://server.school.org:8443/
Finished.

bentoms

@mark.sampers

1. Similar errors with the other failing .mpkgs?
  2. Does clocking the link in the log download the .mpkg?
  3. Do the permissions look ok on these .mpkgs?

mark_sampers
Contributor
  1. Yes similar errors with other pkgs.
  2. Not sure what clocking would involve.
  3. The permissions look ok. I've used OS X Server to propagate proper permissions in the CasperShare.

The majority of my pkgs/mpkgs install just fine and all worked before my upgrade to Version 9. I wonder if being a non-flat pkg has something to do with this?

bentoms

@mark.sampers. Lol. Clocking = clicking.

It'll verify that the PKG is still accessible to download.

bentoms

Oh & what server OS is the distribution point on?

mark_sampers
Contributor

Server OS 10.8.5. Again, the server OS was not a factor with version 8.71.

bentoms

@mark.sampers... I was just wondering of it was some v9 upgrade wiping out some IIS settings.. Obviously not.

Have you engaged support yet?

mark_sampers
Contributor

Not on this matter, yet. Support has been helping me on other items and I thought someone in the community might have my answer. Again, thank you for your help.

hkim
Contributor II

The "quick fix" is basically turn it into a flat package. Wrap the whole thing up into a flat package with a postinstall script to run the installer.

bentoms

@mark.sampers no problem. I am yet to move to v9. But have a whole Mac mini server back end that is managed via RSYNC scripts & am therefore very interested in a resolution to this.

Please post if support can resolve.

rtrouton

To follow up on @hkim][/url 's advice, I have a post for repackaging installers inside flat packages using Packages:

http://derflounder.wordpress.com/2013/11/03/re-packaging-installer-packages-with-packages/