View current wireless ssid on Macs and iPads

jhuls
Contributor III

Is it possible to do this through Casper? We're preparing for a migration from one wireless network to another and found it would be nice if we could view which wireless network devices were connected to.

4 REPLIES 4

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Yes it can be done, at least on Macs, using an Extension Attribute. But as with anything inventory related, its a snapshot in time, so there's no knowing from that field alone if the Mac is still on that SSID. I'd look at maybe including something in a script that would check the current SSID as the policy runs rather than relying on a Smart Group based on potentially old inventory data.

I'm not sure on the mobile device piece, but I'd think Casper should already be capturing the wireless network its connected to. Anyone using Casper to manage iOS know about that that can comment?

Emmert
Valued Contributor

I don't believe SSID can be gathered from iPads, perhaps for privacy reasons? However, you can get the IP address so if your wireless networks have different subnets you can determine it indirectly.

r0blee
New Contributor III

How about creating a configuration profile for each platform that sets the Wifi settings to use a particular network?

That way you know that you have enforced a change on the device.

Rob.

dubel
New Contributor III

Does anyone have an Extension Attribute for a Mac that can show the Active Wifi SSID?