Vpp Keynote deployment to 10.11

rory
New Contributor

Hi, I have Keynote 7.1.1 in Vpp Mac App Store Managed Apps. But this requires OS 10.12.

My question is can I distribute the earlier version of Keynote for 10.11?

There is a check box under the VPP tab to assign to 10.11, but I don't know if this will alter the version of the app to suit the OS ?

" x Assign VPP Content
Assign VPP content to computers with macOS v10.11 or later"

Thanks for any help

4 REPLIES 4

rory
New Contributor

1f1a10227cd143eca37762165c5e09ea

mpermann
Valued Contributor II

@rory in my experience, VPP assignment will assign an appropriate version of the app based on the OS that is installed. I have Keynote assigned to all of my computers and when I install the app on a Mac OS 10.11.6 system it installs 6.6.2. When I install on 10.12.4 it installs 7.1.1.

rory
New Contributor

Thanks mpermann,

That is exactly how I want keynote to deploy , but it is not. I have only tried this since keynote became free, May I ask were you doing this when it was a purchased app, I'm just trying to understand where the difference lies?

mpermann
Valued Contributor II

@rory we owned a large fraction of the total licenses needed to cover our entire fleet and were deploying them as device based assignments before the app was made free. We "purchased" more licenses through the VPP portal so we have more than enough licenses now to assign a license to our entire fleet now. I've switched all computers to using device based assignment and it has worked normally. With one exception, there have been times where I've had a device based license assigned to a computer and would attempt to install from Self Service and instead of starting the install it would automatically pop open the App Store and ask for an AppleID to install the app. When this happens, I've found that if you quit the App Store and go back to Self Service and try again it will sometimes work. Typically though I have to do this 3 times before it will actually start to download and install the app. What is happening for you when you try and install the app with device based assignment?