vpp redownload call timed out <mdmclienterror:72>

mjames
Contributor

Hi,

I am seeing a lot of our systems having the "vpp redownload call timed out <mdmclienterror:72>" error when cliets try to install VPP apps via Self Service on MacOS (most clients are 10.14.2).

I have tried clearing the failed commands, reconning, re-enrolling etc with no luck.

I am hesitant to revoke all apps as I have seen suggested because I am concerned about the number of people who will experience iTunes notifications about apps not being assigned (the staff at this school are fragile...).

Any advice would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

pbowden
Contributor III

@mjames @whitebeer The issue with storedownloadd crashing during MAS installs is fixed in 10.14.4 Beta 4 (18E205e). This is RADAR 47685116. Let me know if you still see problems after the update. For clarity, typical symptoms of this bug:
- Larger MAS apps like Xcode and Office fail to install and leave behind an .appdownload stub
- Needing to run multiple jamf recon commands to coerce apps to install
- MDMClientError:72 failed command seen in JSS

I've updated https://macadmins.software/mas with the latest info. The largest outstanding issue that I'm still tracking is the inability to update MAS apps through MDM when the user has the app perpetually open.

View solution in original post

407 REPLIES 407

mstydel
Contributor

We've been dealing with this since mid July, we had about 1600 computers out of 2700 total wiped and setup again then struggled through getting the remaining 1100 done in time. Only workaround we've found that works is to go into the app in Jamf, uncheck "Assign VPP Content", save, re-check again, then save again for each of the apps that we have install automatically at enrollment (Pages, Keynote, Numbers). Then wait about 10 minutes and it'll work for a few hours or days, it varies. We have Garage Band and iMovie in Self Service for manual install, eventually when someone mentions that they get an error when trying to install them we have to go do the same process with those apps as well.

KyleEricson
Valued Contributor II

I had hoped Apple would gift us with a fix for this for Christmas, no luck. Seems the updates for macOS apps still don't work.

Read My Blog: https://www.ericsontech.com

sim_brar
New Contributor III

VPP app installs are still failing for us for clients running 10.15.2; same for updates.

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

Yeap, still broken, even with very little activity on the Jamf Pro server.

--
https://donmontalvo.com

ajfunk
Contributor

Still cannot kick off macOS Mojave download/installation through Self Service - i continue to receive error 72. Tried literally every suggestion above my post, still no dice. I've had to resort to manually PKGing and policy-ing our Office 365 deployment because VPP deployment is pretty much 100% broken (aside from iOS app deployment, which is very weird).

Are Apple responding to anyone's open ticket about this? I've heard crickets on my ticket.

c_kay
New Contributor III

It worked for me yesterday. Was able to install App Store version of Word & Excel via Self Service on macOS 10.15.2.

hhorn
New Contributor III

We are still getting error messages...

KyleEricson
Valued Contributor II

Saw the updates half way work today for the first time in months.

ajfunk
Contributor

Worked for me on one Mac today, then failed on the rest...

Madmax85
New Contributor III

I'm still seeing the error but it doesn't seem to be happening on everything. Some apps install fine from the Mac App Store and some fail every time.... It's frustrating.

EmilDIT
New Contributor II

I was able to install Keynote, Outlook, Numbers, Slack, Word and Excel today on two devices both running 10.15.2.

Cayde-6
Release Candidate Programs Tester

So I am not getting the timeout error but this instead lol

Pending - Application is not available to install

ajfunk
Contributor

I was able to install Excel this morning on a test Mac, but anything requested after that fails with error 72. FYI - this issue has been happening for almost a year now. Someone get the birthday cake ready.

c_kay
New Contributor III

For those that do have VPP app installation via Self Service working. Are you apps automatically updating? Mine don’t seem to be and I’m getting notifications in the App Store app saying updates are available but I can’t install them because “they are associated with another Apple ID”.

jr139
New Contributor III

@c.kay we are experiencing this issue as well. Updates are shown but cannot be installed because "they are associated with another Apple ID".

ajfunk
Contributor

Nothing is successfully deploying from VPP for me this morning. I tried a few OS upgrades and they all failed. Tried to install Switcher Cast, the same result.

RyanDahl
New Contributor II

I find I am always dropping at 80.645162% (that precision is crazy, thank you console). No dice on the blank push/recon idea. I'd just deploy it manually but I don't want it bound to an apple ID that I have to manually log into dozens of computers with to do updates.

Heavy_D
Contributor III

Man, every time I see someone update this post I get my hopes UP! and then DOWN! when I read that this problem is still ongoing. So sad it's gone on as long as it has without a solution. I have since given up, and gone back to packaging at the very least I know that WORKS!!

kevinwilemon
New Contributor III

This is the quietest I've seen this thread. We're still experiencing this issue but does this silence mean that it's not as pervasive for others as before?

hhorn
New Contributor III

We still have this issue too...

ajfunk
Contributor

Still having this issue... just tired of posting about it...

ajfunk
Contributor

Submitted another case with Apple. I'm up to 12 cases submitted for this issue alone - one ticket for every month this issue has gone unresolved.

KyleEricson
Valued Contributor II

Still have the issue, guess I'll move to Windows 95....jk.

Garci4
New Contributor III

Is this related to "cannot be updated because it was refunded or purchased with a different Apple ID." errors? Seeing both...

tombelger
New Contributor II

I can't believe we're still having this issue. Maybe Apple really does hate Macs. 🤷‍:male_sign:

sgorney
New Contributor III

We also still see this issue. Especially with Keynote.

KyleEricson
Valued Contributor II

Thought this was fixed for installing apps seeing the issue again for fresh installed. Still have the update issue as well.

gforsyth
New Contributor III

This has been such a saga that I’m tossing in the towel and going back to Packaging... In my 20 year career I can’t say over ever seen anything like this.

::facepalm::

ajfunk
Contributor

Welp, it's been a week since I opened my last ticket with Apple - they haven't responded to a single one of my tickets. Time to open another.

ajfunk
Contributor

Can someone from Jamf give us a status update? Has Apple responded to your tickets for this issue? This is crippling our deployment process - we've fallen back to packaging apps in the interim.

sim_brar
New Contributor III

This finally seems to be resolved for us.

ajfunk
Contributor
This finally seems to be resolved for us.

Test test test test test. I thought it was resolved for us, only to fail the 2nd test.

erichughes
Contributor II

I will Second that the first one of the day seems to work perfectly, after that not so much.

pbowden
Contributor III

Unfortunately, things are getting worse.
We're now seeing an issue in 10.15.3 where it is no longer possible for VPP to update apps (Office or otherwise). Jamf Pro will send the InstallApplication MDM command, which will complete, but fail silently on the device side.

You'll see the following statements in the console on the client-side:

Process: storeassetd
SoftwareMap: Found app at <CKSoftwareProduct: 0x7fcdc2706f30>: (com.microsoft.Word, 16.33, 462054704:834308480 VPP:YES md:0x7fcdc2494a30 /Applications/Microsoft Word.app) using SoftwareMap to upgrade to 16.34

VPPController: VPP Redownload purchase for <SSPurchase: 0x7fcdc251d1b0 - itemIdentifier=462054704, buyParams=productType=C&price=0&salableAdamId=462054704&pricingParameters=STDQ&pg=default&appExtVrsId=834663827, isUpdate=NO, isRedownload=YES, isVPP=YES, isDSIDLess=NO, managedUUID=(null),accountIdentifier=(null), purchaseType=0> completed with success=1 error=Error Domain=CKVPPErrorDomain Code=3 "The product is already installed" UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=The product is already installed} response=<SSPurchaseResponse: 0x7fcdc254a8b0>

Process: storedownloadd
Download: Download <Download: 0x7fef2ac3e9b0>: com.microsoft.Word 16.34 (462054704) paused:0 failed:0 isInServerQueue:0 is known to be an update when metadata is set

DownloadManifest: removePurgeablePath: /var/folders/zz/zyxvpxvq6csfxvn_n0000000000000/C/com.apple.appstore/462054704
sending status (Microsoft Word): 0.000000% (0.000000)

LegacyDownloadQueue: Could not add download

LegacyDownloadQueue: Will start any ready downloads anyways.

Process: mdmclient
VPP completion: DidPurchase: YES itemID: 462054704 bundleID: com.microsoft.Word error: (null)

The radar that we have open with Apple is 59682388.

Thanks, Paul.

diptivs
New Contributor II

I am still seeing this issue with exact same logs. Did you hear anything from Apple on the radar ticket? 

No, nothing.  
I gave up and just download, created a package with Composer then deployed.

Cayde-6
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@pbowden thanks for the post, I was going mad telling Jamf and Apple about how the install commands were triggered but never auctioned.

pbowden
Contributor III

@Cayde-6 no probs - this is all super frustrating. I've traced through the MDM commands, and Jamf Pro is sending the correct signal - the bug is in the OS.

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

@pbowden wrote:

the bug is in the OS.

Confirmed with colleagues using other MDM tools that it’s the same on their end.

Thanks so much for digging, we very much appreciate it.

--
https://donmontalvo.com

KyleEricson
Valued Contributor II

I wish Apple would just fix this issue, I can install apps fine now, but can't update them. What's the point of VPP if it doesn't work.