What scripts and helpdesk tools do you use with self service?

neilrooney_old
New Contributor II

Hi everyone! I've been slowly building out our self service with software from VPP, scripts for updating and some help desk tools.

I was hoping you all could share some of the scripts and other tools you use for your users. There have been some older threads showing off their tools but they are a little sparse on how to make them work. One great one I saw, but have no idea how to get it to work, was an emergency backup to Google Drive.

I would love to see some scripts for updating Adobe CC and some other nifty scripts for helpdesk. Attached is what I have so far. a2a4ee6f69fd41bf85e99fb8a4952c16

Cheers everyone! :)

127 REPLIES 127

MatG
Contributor III

Nice, any of the scripts on GitHub?

ib-ittech
New Contributor II

Currently, no, but I can share it with you next week. Which one you are interested?

Jeff_Owen
New Contributor III

Hi ib-ittech,

I was wondering if you are on the MacAdmins Slack.  I have a few questions regarding some of your Self Service options that I might like to learn from you.

scottb
Honored Contributor

Is it wrong of me to ask those posting these to also post the tools used (scripts, etc) here for others?
Seems the likely thing to happen is they're going to ask anyways... 😊

But I agree, this is a good thing to continue on...

scottb
Honored Contributor

Wrong thread ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

ib-ittech
New Contributor II
  • @Jeff_Owen Yes, I am on Mac Admins under the name Darko Didak. Feel free to ping me
  • @scottb I can post all scripts, but then we will have large threads. Do you use Mac Admins maybe? I can share scripts with you over Slack 
  • @MatG Do you also maybe use Mac Admins?

chris_kemp
Contributor III

Interesting thread. In my experience you have to make efforts to educate your users about Self Service if you want them to use it; but once they know they start telling others about it (assuming you're giving them value with your tools, of course!). I don't see any competition with automation, actually SS is a great way to put automated tasks behind a single button. 

We don't use it to deploy our standard software, but we do have a few additional titles available (usually stuff that requires an additional chargeback), and we do publish rip-and-replace tools for reinstalling things (particularly useful if the uninstaller leaves behind a bunch of junk). For the most part it's fix tools. Work with your support desk to find out what their big call drivers are and see if you can build/acquire a tool around fixing it. 

dvasquez
Valued Contributor

I really like the icons!