WHERE IS THE RESOURCE KIT!?!?!?

mbayhylle
New Contributor II

every link i click takes be to the discussions page can anyone help?

21 REPLIES 21

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

If you find it, let us know if its been updated from the Nov 2011 version that was up. :)

--
https://donmontalvo.com

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Up until not too long ago, I used to be able to locate it with a Google search aimed at the JAMF Software site. That's no longer the case, so I suspect its been removed. It would be nice to get some word on what the move is going forward for this. The Resource Kit used to have some great stuff in it, but as you point out Don, it hasn't been updated in quite a while. If everything in the Kit was posted here I would be fine with that. Anyone know if that's the case?

mbayhylle
New Contributor II

I spoke with my support rep this morning and the Resourcekit.dmg links have been removed by JAMF support. According to my rep, all of the materials found in the Resource Kit are available here on JamfNation.

mm2270

As I suspected. That may be that its all here, but they don't seem to be in one place, rather scattered around linked to different kb articles and such. I think it would be great if there was a single "repository" page one could browse here on JAMFNation where we can find the scripts, apps and other stuff that JAMF has created and would have put in the Resource Kit in the past.
Did your rep provide you with a single location to find these or did they just suggest searching for them? If I go to the KB article section and search for "Resource Kit" it brings up a list of different articles that make reference to items that were previously in the Kit.

SeanA
Contributor III

Agreeing with mm2270. A single "repository" page would be great.

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

@SeanA wrote:

Agreeing with mm2270. A single "repository" page would be great.

+1

--

blackholemac
Valued Contributor III

Filed a formal feature request based on this post. I miss it too, but luckily I have the last version I know of archived. I just hope they can do something similar here on JamfNation that aggregates some of these types of goodies in one spot. If you folks agree, please go to this feature request post and vote it up.

Thanks,
blackholemac

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

If anyone has a copy of the resourcekit, just make a Third Party Product here and start uploading the scripts. I don't seem to have one handy, otherwise I'd do it.

andyinindy
Contributor II

jhbush
Valued Contributor II

Nice one Andy

nick
Contributor
Contributor

Hey everyone,

Back when we announced the initial release of JAMF Nation at the NUC in November of 2011, one of the topics that was discussed was the transition of the Resource Kit into JAMF Nation. When JAMF Nation was officially released, we made an effort to migrate all scripts and content that was present in the Resource Kit at that point into Third-Party Products in JAMF Nation.

Over the past year, we have been gradually updating links on jamfsoftware.com that used to point to the Resource Kit to instead refer to JAMFNation, and earlier this week we completed this transition by removing the Resource Kit DMG from our downloads section.

To re-iterate Zach's comments at the NUC in 2011, we see this as more of a transition than an "end of life" for the goals of what we were trying to accomplish by providing the Resource Kit. Though there were several benefits from moving the components of the Resource Kit into Third-Party Products in JAMF Nation, there is no longer the ability to download everything into a single DMG.

Posting the Resource Kit by itself as a Third-Party Product is a convenient way to get that capability back, but it will become outdated as various components that were present in the Resource Kit are updated by the community.

We didn't realize that there would be so much fallout from removing the Resource Kit DMG from the site, but we do feel that this is the best way to move the components that were part of the Resource Kit to the next level.

Please let us know if you have any other thoughts or questions.

Nick

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

@nick I think it's mostly a matter of finding the stuff...maybe a "Resource Kit" tag? :)

--

chris_kemp
Contributor III

+1 for a dedicated area. As it is, things are very scattered - searching discussions brings up all sorts of items, dates are all over the place - if the aim is to keep things up-to-date, then having them in one place is the first step, really.

@Don - tags are nice, but they're overrated IMHO. Success depends on whatever the user did/did not tag the item with. ;-)

mm2270

Yep, I have no issue with moving the Resource Kit contents into JAMFNation. It makes complete sense. But as Don says, this is matter of locating this content. Right now it feels like its been "scattered to the winds", rather than being in a cohesive location or tagged in some manner so its easier to find.
In fact, if I go into 3rd Party Products right now and search for "Resource Kit" the only item that gets pulled up is the link to the DMG Andy posted yesterday :-? So, this begs the question then, how are we supposed to locate this stuff?

SeanA
Contributor III

Just putting in my two cents behind chris and mm2270. Tags are too fragile in this case to determine where the contents of the Resource Kit. "Scattered to the winds" echos my thoughts, too.

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

@SeanA Good pernt.

--

mm2270

I will stop after this, but wanted to mention one other thing. Although technically speaking, all the content from the Resource Kit is here, something invariably gets lost in these types of transitions. The old downloadable Resource Kit was a great resource for me when I first started using Casper Suite, for things like learning how to check for and pass parameters into a script ($4, $5, etc) In fact, oftentimes the Resource Kit had a "I didn't know I needed to know that!" or "I didn't know you could do that!" kind of quality to it. It being in one easy to browse place made it easier to consume all that information, even if it wasn't something you needed today.
If i were new to Casper Suite today and wanted to know how to use parameters as an example, I would need to look through seemingly dozens of 3rd party product links before I'd find one of those scripts. I'd probably give up and just post a question here instead. Not that that's a bad thing; JN users are after all a great resource too. I just think a little something has become lost by not having all those JAMF "nuggets" of great info in one easy to look through location.

Maybe just make a page that has links back to all 3rd party products that include something from the Resource Kit?

BTW, we still love JAMF and JAMFNation, make no mistake about that :)

rockpapergoat
Contributor III

keep it all on github.

jake
Contributor II
Contributor II

Hey Everyone -

Thank you for your feedback! Everything is actually pretty centralized as far as material from the resource kit.

Here is a link to all of the applications we have posted under JAMF Software in Third Party Products.

https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/viewCompany.html?id=1

Here is a link to all of the scripts that are currently posted in the community. We would love to have people continue to update and contribute to this section. This is mainly a list of scripts that were migrated over from the Resource Kit. If you have a script you feel would benefit the community, please feel free to post it here as well.

https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/scripts.html

We do like the idea of keeping things on github and this option has been discussed among others. Please chime in if anyone else has other ideas.

Thanks!
Jake

chris_kemp
Contributor III

Never would have thought to look for JAMF under "Third Party"...

mm2270

Neither did I. Thanks for the links Jake. I'm not sure why doing some searches earlier wasn't pulling that up though. Good to know its all in one central spot.

Thanks!