Windows sever 2012R2(JAMF pro 10.14) to Windows server 2019 Update JAMF pro from 10.14 to 10.44

CLG
Contributor

Hi All

Have anyone updated their JAMF pro from 10.14 to the latest? I know we are way back in past

Due to the end of support for Windows sever 2012R2 have to update the server OS to Windows sever 2019 and need to update the JAAMF as well.

have anyone done this before if so 

Can we directly jump from  10.14.x to 10.44.x without the Incremental Upgrade?

What are the important things that I should consider before updating?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

CLG
Contributor

I manage to update my JAMF server without updating any JAMF dependency or (from  10.14.x to 10.44.x)

Took a backup using the JMAF server tool 

Then did an in-place upgrade from server 2012 to 2019.

We are running on VM. If your server running on VM  before updating please take a snapshot of your current server. for safe side :)

If you have any certificates expiring within a month make sure to update them before the update.

didn't update the JMAF before the server update.

After updating to the server 2019 I did update my JMAF server from  10.14.x to 10.44.x

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

talkingmoose

HI @talkingmoose 
Thanks for your reply 👏
Can't I directly Jump in? I saw this article and I was thinking is there any other option to do without going through this  Incremental Upgrade?

No. Read the details in the article. It’s there for you to follow for a reason. It’s only four  updates you need to apply.

I would go so far as to recommend that after each upgrade you bring up your servers and verify you can log in. Then shut them down, make backups, and proceed with the next upgrade until you’re fully upgraded.

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

Having once gone through a JSS upgrade where I did not back up after an intermediate upgrade (a mistake I didn't make again) I cannot give enough kudos to @talkingmoose 's recommendation that you test and backup after each one.

Without going through all this process If I install a new server2019 and on top of that the new JAMF pro, and import all the data from the old JAMF server will it work?

What are the things that can go wrong in this process?

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@CLG It's a pretty binary situation - follow the incremental upgrade article @talkingmoose provided a link to and your JSS will be working when you're done (do the backups between increments to avoid Murphy's Law, or more so O'Toole's Corollary to Murphy's Law which is "Murphy was an optimist"), or try to go directly from 10.14 to 10.44.1 skipping the necessary intermediate upgrades and your JSS won't start up properly.

Thanks to All of you guys I'll try incremental updates and let you know how it went.

CLG
Contributor

One last question can I install all the Jamf Updates from 10.14 to 10.44 on Server 2012R2 (Jamf updates support 2012R2) or do I have to move to Server 2019 after some point 

My Plan is to update JAMF  from 10.14 to 10.44 on the current server which is Server 2012R2 and then update the server OS to  Server2019 or 2022

talkingmoose

Jamf Pro really has no dependence on the specific Windows version you're using. It's installing everything it needs. My test Jamf Pro server is running Jamf Pro 10.45.0 on Windows Server 2016.

CLG
Contributor

I manage to update my JAMF server without updating any JAMF dependency or (from  10.14.x to 10.44.x)

Took a backup using the JMAF server tool 

Then did an in-place upgrade from server 2012 to 2019.

We are running on VM. If your server running on VM  before updating please take a snapshot of your current server. for safe side :)

If you have any certificates expiring within a month make sure to update them before the update.

didn't update the JMAF before the server update.

After updating to the server 2019 I did update my JMAF server from  10.14.x to 10.44.x