Wireless and Keychain issues with Big Sur

tyler_petro
New Contributor III

Hi everyone,

I am seeing a few issues after upgrading an enrolled and configured device from Catalina to Big Sur. Upon first login for a user, we get three or four keychain pop-ups saying the keychain could not be found (I would think that there is no keychain for a new user logging in for the first time).

We also have been seeing that it is picking up our wireless settings correctly, however, it is not auto-connecting (despite it being marked as auto-join). I have to manually select the wireless SSID for it to connect on each reboot. Also, when I log off, it disconnects from that wireless and I cant click the wireless icon on the login screen to connect to anything.

Is anyone else seeing this or know of a way to fix it. Is there something that changed with Big Sur that I need to update in my policies or config profiles on JAMF Pro?
46ccd4c616da4ed1b537ea4a169c8cc9

10 REPLIES 10

dpratl
Contributor II

Hi,
I'm facing the same problem (keychain has to be Reset to Defaults) with Big Sur fresh install, did you find any solution?
My users are logging it with their AD accounts as adminsitrators. I don't have any FUT packages left (that was the problem some time ago).
Thank you
BR
Daniel

tyler_petro
New Contributor III

No solution... I only noticed that after hitting "Reset to Default" for each keychain prompt and then rebooting, it doesn't prompt anymore. It appears to only prompt upon the first login when on Big Sur, but not on subsequent logins.

dpratl
Contributor II

Hi @tyler.petro,
Sure, even when you are not Reseting to default with the next reboot a Login keychain is generated again.
I have to find out which of my policies is causing that, I will let you know.

BR
Daniel

dpratl
Contributor II

Bad news, it seems that is a general Problem with Big Sur at the moment, I found this: reddit_link
It looks like we have to wait until Apple is going to fix it, if that is happening is impossible to say :(
BR
Daniel

tyler_petro
New Contributor III

Well at least I can breathe a little easier knowing it isn't one of my policies or config profiles causing it. Thanks for the additional information!

dstranathan
Valued Contributor II

I am seeing this issue a lot on 11.3.1 (dont recall seeing it on earlier versions of macOS Big Sur). Clicking "Cancel" works for me somtimes (aand subsequent reboots/logins are fine).

We have 1 new M1 MacBook Pro running 11.2.3 with this issue as I type this post.

I'm guessing this is some sort of race condition in which apps/services are attempting to write to the Keychain before it is created?

@tyler.petro Are you suggesting that your Wi-fi and Login Keychain issues are related directly?

(My screenshot is an example of a MS app trying to create a Keychain entry (OneDrive), but several apps will display the same errors)

874451fe1f0c48e48db62f4d4b12be83

dstranathan
Valued Contributor II

UPDATE: This is a known issue. Apple has fixed it as of macOS 11.4 beta 1 (according to release notes).

I just tested macOS 11.4 beta 3 and can confirm the issue is resolved for me.

PaulHazelden
Valued Contributor

I have seen the Keychain issue before. It was down to the Keychains folder missing from the Home folder, there is however a file called keychains created there. When you do the reset it removes the file and makes the folder and puts the database into the folder as it should. It has been around off and on since 10.14. If you script a Keychains folder into the template, it fixes it. There are other folders that seem to be created as files instead of folders. I can't remember which they are.

dstranathan
Valued Contributor II

I do recall what you are referring to (a long time ago). This is the issue is different. The ~/Library/Keychains directory is being created at first login as expected, but the actual login.keychain-db (Keychain database file) is not being created properly.

demuthp
New Contributor II

Any solution to this? I'm having this issue as well. It seems on accounts that show me the error (which are all of them besides the one admin account I created initially and have been using on and off for the summer as I prep our student labs). Furthermore I'm wondering if this is causing Adobe products to not be able to launch somehow by not allowing the Adobe Application Manager to realize the computer is connected to the internet. All accounts that show this error will not let Adobe connect, the one account that doesn't show the message works fine. Any thoughts?IMG_3761.jpeg