Yosemite cannot eject mounted volume

merps
Contributor III

Hey everyone,

I've seen this issue reported on various search results, namely this one at Apple Discussions. After doing a quick search on JAMF Nation, I don't see it discussed - so either I missed it or not many people are facing the issue. Here goes:

When we mount a volume (either a .dmg or USB drive), the item shows up in Finder and is seen properly doing

diskutil list

and can be accessed without issue.

Things that don't work:
- Clicking the "eject" icon next to the volume name.
- Dragging the volume to the trash

Things that do work:
- Ejecting the disk via command line

hdiutil eject -force disk2s2

- Selecting the volume in Disk Utility and choosing "eject"

It's not a show-stopper (we've been dealing with it since at least January - on all versions of Yosemite, including 10.10.4) but it's sure annoying. I can definitely script something and put it in Self Service, but it seems that you should be able to eject a mounted volume using the native OS functionality.

Has anyone come across this and found a solution? Thanks in advance!

-Mike

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

merps
Contributor III

I got it. We had a config profile set with a Finder payload.

In the "Commands" section, the option to Eject was unchecked. Once I selected that option & rebooted, all is well now.

Thanks for your help. This one can be boiled down to operator error.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

perrycj
Contributor III

Not sure if this will help you on 10.10.x but it has helped me in the past:

Bad file in /private/etc/

Hopefully it will help in some way.

merps
Contributor III

Thanks @perrycj for the suggestion. It gave me some info to look at for future troubleshooting.

The /private/etc/authorization file has been deprecated, but I was able to verify that the proper settings existed in /System/Library/Security/authorization.plist

Since that didn't go anywhere, I decided to take Casper out of the equation (not sure why I didn't try this before) and ran this:

sudo jamf removeFramework

I'm able to unmount without issue after removing the JAMF framework.

After re-enrolling & rebooting, the problem is back.

This tells me that I'm probably being burned by one of our config profiles. I'll do some digging and post a resolution after I find out what's to blame.

sean
Valued Contributor

You can't eject a Volume (without a force) if the OS thinks that the Volume is being accessed at the time.

Eg. Use terminal to CD into a Volume and then try and eject, it will fail.

merps
Contributor III

I got it. We had a config profile set with a Finder payload.

In the "Commands" section, the option to Eject was unchecked. Once I selected that option & rebooted, all is well now.

Thanks for your help. This one can be boiled down to operator error.

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

I've been caught by that one before. I think it's unticked by default which isn't good!