Zoom App asks for Admin credentials when use Microphone and Camera

udhayakumar
New Contributor

Hi All,

In our organization, we have restricted the admin rights to everyone, in that sometimes the zoom application asking admin credentials to allow the Microphone and Camera. How we resolve this issue via JAMF. Please help me to guide this.

Note: We have recently onboarded to Jamf pro server so we are not much familiar with the JAMF.

6 REPLIES 6

larry_barrett
Valued Contributor

Every app/program that uses mic and camera has to be granted access. All users have access to these panels. Google Meet has the exact same thing. It's an Apple feature, not JAMF.

AdamCraig
Contributor III

We implemented a "make me an admin" script with a 10 minute time window so users are able to put in the privileges they need.
https://github.com/jamf/MakeMeAnAdmin

Phantom5
Contributor II

Just create a PPPC for Zoom in Jamf Pro and distribute to all your Macs.

Check here

jhuls
Contributor III

@udhayakumar Are you sure of what you're stating here? I just tested fired up Zoom on a non-admin account and it did what I expected...it prompted for the user to give permission for the mic and camera. No admin credentials were requested.

Also, I don't believe PPPC is an answer for this as my understanding is that you can't do mic and camera approvals with it. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but that's been my understanding.

talkingmoose

@udhayakumar, Zoom is not asking for admin credentials. Admin credentials are not required for a user to allow Zoom access to the microphone and camera.

The user is required, though, to grant permission. You can't control that. You'll need to educate your users to allow.

If a user accidentally denies access to the microphone or camera, direct him or her to open Apple menu > System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy tab > Microphone/Camera and check the box next to Zoom. Note that the setting isn't dimmed and is completely accessible. This is a user-level setting and the user will have privileges to do so.
967864eacdf4449e90257b0ef6ecbb88

shaquir
Contributor III

I recently posted my workflow to automatically address this issue in our environment for Microsoft Teams. We are a Microsoft shop, but I can rework the process for other apps if the demand is there.

https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/discussions/35301/automatically-reset-teams-camera-and-microphone-...