JAMF SCHOOL best way to keep Google Chrome updated

richjohn85
New Contributor

Hey, we use Jamf School. How does everybody keep Google Chrome updated. What is the best way to push Google Chrome? I had the chrome enterprise downloaded. I uploaded it to Jamf School and pushed it as an in-house app. On new Macs, it downloads whatever version of chrome was available at the time I downloaded the pkg. Normally, Google Chrome then updates on the Macs. Today I pushed it to a Mac, and it could not update it took me to the webpage to re download chrome. I don't know if this is a common thing. To fix it, I downloaded the latest version of the and pushed that in Jamf School. Only issue.... for teachers that already have the old Google Chrome, it breaks chrome. Basically it installs the new, but does not tell the teachers to restart chrome. All they see is that Chrome is not working, and there is no notification to restart Google Chrome which fixed the issue.

9 REPLIES 9

anickless
Contributor II

I push a Configuration profile to the Chrome browsers to force updates and we officially manage the Chrome Browsers so that is an option for you.

dmccluskey
Contributor

2023-04-21_8-09-43.jpg

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

As others have said a configuration profile to enable auto update is the best option. However, if chrome is not running the auto updates wont run. So, if you have users that use a different browser than Chrome will never update. I usually sweep behind every 3-4 months and update chrome with a policy.

dmccluskey
Contributor

You can use patch management but then you have to package every new version.

Or you can use macapps jamf catalog and it will do the work for you.

2023-04-21_10-39-15.jpg

2023-04-21_10-38-56.jpg

anickless
Contributor II

@dmccluskey Patch Management is not available in JAMF School which the original poster is needing assistance with. You are posting a Jamf Pro solution in the Jamf School forum so that will not help the person. But yes if you are correct in if someone is running Jamf Pro then Patch Management would be the solution and the OP wouldn't have this issue at all. However, Jamf School is a different product altogether (having used both) and so a different solution is needed (which is similar to when patch management wasn't in Jamf Pro).

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

In 2023 it blows my mind that JAMF School and JAMF Pro are separate products. It is long past time to merge JAMF School and JAMF Pro. Honestly even JAMF Now should just be a watered down of JAMF Pro rather than having its own entire UI/IX. 

dmccluskey
Contributor

Does it have macapps jamf catalog? 

anickless
Contributor II

@dmccluskey Nope

dmccluskey
Contributor

well darn.

Outside of making a package and smartgroups to deploy it, im not sure what else.

But you should still have a configuration profile for chrome just to make sure it is set auto update.