Monterey point updates not installing on supervised M1 macs

rhoorn
New Contributor

We are new to Jamf School and everything we have been finding about updates talk about ensuring that we have the security tokens escrowed on the server.  Well.. we seem to have that. when we look at the Updates submenu in Jamf School, we have a red notification bubble claiming there are 80 updates. No matter how much I try to run either install and restart (or just install), It states that it's scheduled, but it never completes. 

Am I wrong in thinking this is the preferred method for schools to manage their mac fleets? Do i need to see about upgrading to Jamf Pro?

1 REPLY 1

Fluffy
Contributor III

Updates in Jamf School seem like they are pretty broken, on both iPads and MacBooks. Or, at least, for us. We are updating everything by hand this summer (half of it by way of Apple Configurator). Out of our fleet of ~1400 iPads and Macs and Jamf School now claims we have over 9,000 (yes, actually, like the meme) updates.

What you describe sounds like exactly the same issue we have. You may find better luck updating Macs with using something like Nudge to encourage users to update, or erase-install to do it while devices are on-hand over summer.

I can't say for sure whether using Jamf Pro is better or not for updates. Judging by the amount of posts about asking how to do updates with similar answers, I'm guessing it isn't much better.