Unsuccessfully Trying to Update Shared iPads to iOS 15

AndreaO
New Contributor

Is anyone else having trouble updating Shared iPads to iOS 15? I'm quite new to device management in general and am looking any help.

Our devices are 32GB and the updates are 2-3 GB, almost too large for the allotment per device. I tried to get around this by creating a single device class and updating that single device, but am only seeing that the update is schedule  The update is so large that is is almost too big for I'm pretty new at this, so I created a single device class and tried to update that way. I am still only seeing that the update is scheduled, but the update goes no further. 

Any advice would be most welcome!

6 REPLIES 6

Fluffy
Contributor III

I haven't been able to experiment much with this myself. We've only been on Jamf School since the end of the summer and have been catching up on recreating our previous setup. I've only updated to iPads so far.

Do you have access to any of the iPads? I remember having to unlock one to initiate downloading the update.

Also, I'm unclear as to why you made a class for the device. Could you not find it in the Updates tab under the Devices category? Alternatively, you could go to the iPad's device page and look at its updates there.

AndreaO
New Contributor

Thanks for your questions. I created the "Update Class" because of the size of the update, and because our Shared iPads do not have much space available.

I just found a work around, which works when the devices are in-hand. If I plug a device into my MacBook and then do a factory reset, I have the option of updating. This only works when the device is in hand, but hopefully the next iOS upgrades won't be so huge!

amer_t
New Contributor

We have around 1000 iPads set up as shared in our primary section and haven't been able to update a single one using Jamf pro since iOS 15 was released. We have been using the same set up for 4/5 years now and always face issues updating the iOS on shared iPads however this is the first time it has completely failed to update any.    Usually we manage to get around 90% updated using jamf over a period of 2/3 weeks and the remaining we do with Apple configurator. 

Apple configurator will allow you to update multiple iPads simultaneously, providing you have a trolley, without the need to completely restore. 

We also have over 2000 iPads set up as 1:1 which have had no problems updating iOS. The issue only seems to be on Shared iPads. 

Hopefully this will be resolved soon as updating 1000 iPads manually isn't really an option for us. 

TechGuy77
New Contributor II

Sorry to reply to an older ticket but what is a trolly? When I attempt to use configurator to update any JAMF ipad I get the message to restore the ipad but just want to easily update the ipads by plugging them into a USB hub and grouping them. I've read you can do this but get the message that we need to do a restore. 

BLefevre80
New Contributor

We encounter the same problem: unable to update shared ipads to iPadOS 15.1. We contacted Apple Support without getting a response. We opened an unanswered Jamf ticket. We contacted Jamf by email and the only solution offered is to delete and update the shared iPads through itunes. Very disappointing

tumSuden
New Contributor

Hi, a trolley is an iPad case on wheels which includes an USB hub for charging the iPads. So a USB hub will do the same.

I got error messages on Configurator 2 as well, but I was able to update a single iPad via Finder. After that the latest OS was in the cache of my Mac Mini M1 and suddenly I could update iPads with the configurator as well.

We also have a Macbook Air for this kind of work, but I find I run into more problems using that.

Sad, that updating shared iPads is still such a pain.