Interview question

DBrowning
Valued Contributor II

I've been asked to sit in on Tech interviews for an open associate engineer position (first time sitting on that side of the table).  They will be focused on our mac environment.  Looking for suggestions on questions to ask.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

danlaw777
Contributor III

DON'T ask yes/no questions

DO ask "explain to me how you would....."

DON'T ask an abundant amount generalized qustions (how would you get out of a room with no windows or doors, How would you escape a benlder if your 3mm tall)

DO ask precise questions about how they would build a Jamf instance from the ground up, How they would troubleshoot specific issues, How they would identify a bad .pkg file

You're interviewing them to do a job in IT, not HR

View solution in original post

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II
  • I come up with 3 scenarios of varying difficulties, and ask them how they would address the scenario.
    • You can use recent situations you have faced, and evaluate how they would approach the situation.
    • JAMF's 300 and 400 have some really good scenarios you could get ideas from.
  • I usually keep questions a level below what I am interviewing for, and try to keep them as MDM agnostic as possible.
    • Let the interviewee lead thing to the next level.
  • I specifically do not look for right or wrong answers, I am more so looking to evaluate their critical thinking ability and knowledge in general.
    • Not everyone handles questions under pressure well, and you cannot judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

danlaw777
Contributor III

DON'T ask yes/no questions

DO ask "explain to me how you would....."

DON'T ask an abundant amount generalized qustions (how would you get out of a room with no windows or doors, How would you escape a benlder if your 3mm tall)

DO ask precise questions about how they would build a Jamf instance from the ground up, How they would troubleshoot specific issues, How they would identify a bad .pkg file

You're interviewing them to do a job in IT, not HR

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II
  • I come up with 3 scenarios of varying difficulties, and ask them how they would address the scenario.
    • You can use recent situations you have faced, and evaluate how they would approach the situation.
    • JAMF's 300 and 400 have some really good scenarios you could get ideas from.
  • I usually keep questions a level below what I am interviewing for, and try to keep them as MDM agnostic as possible.
    • Let the interviewee lead thing to the next level.
  • I specifically do not look for right or wrong answers, I am more so looking to evaluate their critical thinking ability and knowledge in general.
    • Not everyone handles questions under pressure well, and you cannot judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree.