jamf Connect - Newbie question trial vs licensed

kyndi-roy
New Contributor II

We are new to jamf and we started with the trial version of jamf pro. I saw that there really wasn't much I could do during the trial so we purchased the product. I activated the license, downloaded Jamf Connect installer but it's still in trial mode. I cannot figure out how to get the license info registered with the paid version. Is this built into the installer or is there an import feature. The CS group gave me a Dropbox of the files but there is no README. Could use some assistance. We scheduled a 1pm call with them as we really need to get their help getting this off the ground. Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

junjishimazaki
Valued Contributor

Hi, welcome to Jamf. Based on the fact that you and org are new to Jamf with zero experience. I would start with the Jamf Connect Admin guide. https://docs.jamf.com/jamf-connect/2.3.1/administrator-guide/Installation_and_Licensing.html
As well as the Jamf Pro admin guide https://docs.jamf.com/10.28.0/jamf-pro/administrator-guide/About_This_Guide.html
Everything you need to get it functioning you can find in the guide. But, If your org is serious about using Jamf then I would advise you take the Jamf certification. If you don't have any experience with Jamf then you will be struggle how administrate Jamf.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Tribruin
Valued Contributor II

When you purchased the license, you should have received a configuration profile. You need to install that Configuration profile on to the computer to remove the trial notice. For testing, i would just copy the profile to your computer and install it directly. But, you will want to eventually install it via Jamf.

You might need to modify the configuration profile and change the preference domain com.jamf.connect.sync to com.jamf.connect to work correctly with v2.0+

kyndi-roy
New Contributor II

Hello and thanks for your response. I don't have a procedure on how to import it into the client. Is there a simple technote because I can't find this in their training videos or documentation. It's frustrating.

junjishimazaki
Valued Contributor

Hi, welcome to Jamf. Based on the fact that you and org are new to Jamf with zero experience. I would start with the Jamf Connect Admin guide. https://docs.jamf.com/jamf-connect/2.3.1/administrator-guide/Installation_and_Licensing.html
As well as the Jamf Pro admin guide https://docs.jamf.com/10.28.0/jamf-pro/administrator-guide/About_This_Guide.html
Everything you need to get it functioning you can find in the guide. But, If your org is serious about using Jamf then I would advise you take the Jamf certification. If you don't have any experience with Jamf then you will be struggle how administrate Jamf.

kyndi-roy
New Contributor II

Thanks for your response. I've been through both of those documents and it's missing a simple procedure. I simply want to know how to import the files given to me manually on the client side. Later we will auto enroll in Jamf Pro. Thanks.

Tribruin
Valued Contributor II

Did you get a file called Jamf Connect License Key - <<Company Name>>.mobileconfig? If so, copy that to your test computer. Doubleclick to open and install the profile. (Note, if you are running on Big Sur, you will need to go in to System Preferences -> Profiles and follow the steps to manually install the profile.)

talkingmoose

@user-LhUWCJsJEI, unless the installer is old and the apps are reporting they're expired, Jamf Connect in Trial Mode is 100% functional. You'll just see the expiration warning.

When you receive your license key via email from Jamf, you can install it directly on your test Mac by double-clicking it or upload it to your MDM (in Jamf Pro, you choose Computers > Configuration Profiles > Upload) and deploy it as you would any other profile.

kyndi-roy
New Contributor II

Okay, I appreciate you having the patience here and made some progress. I can now see that accessing the Profiles section I was able to manually add my config file and delete the trial config. But unfortunately when I logout and or reboot it still has that trial version as the default. This is very frustrating and shouldn't be this difficult. Any help here is appreciated.

kyndi-roy
New Contributor II

To add more color, when Jamf Connect is launched it still has the trial login and server. I need to wipe that trial configuration out of the client or I won't be able to make a connection into Jamf Pro.

kyndi-roy
New Contributor II

@user-LhUWCJsJEI @RBlount Please see my last two comments. On two Macbooks running Sur I don't have a Preferences/Profile. :( Thanks in advance.

Tribruin
Valued Contributor II

Let's take a step back and make sure we understand the issue. When you say you added the manually added the Config file, which configuration file did you install and how did you install it? If you installed the configuration profile, Jamf Connect Login should not be showing as a trial. Nor do you have to uninstall your existing version of Jamf Connect. Once you add a license key via a configuration profile, Jamf Connect will switch out of trial mode.

Do you have a Jamf Connect JumpStart scheduled where a Jamf engineer can help get you up and running?